Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Tin Foil Barbs (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/tin-foil-barbs-3460/)

chuck 02-20-2007 02:46 PM

Tin Foil Barbs

I have a 55 gal with 6 angels, 7 neons, 5 silver dollars, 3 cherry barbs, 4 guppies and 4 zebras. I would like to add 5 or 6 small (2inch) tin foil barbs. I know they will get big, but if I feed them staple food only, will they get along and not grow so fast or am I asking for trouble. Right now everybody gets along fine.

Thanks

Matt 02-20-2007 03:31 PM

I think that you Might be asking for Trouble.
(Imo....... I would not do it.)

sazzy 02-20-2007 03:34 PM

tinfoils seem to grow fast anyway, so you will still end up with a big problem

musho3210 02-20-2007 05:36 PM

feeding them less wont slow there growth speed, the only way to do that is to stunt them by insufficient growth space which is cruel and can cause more problems that it fixes

tophat665 02-20-2007 09:44 PM

Yes, you'll have a problem. If the tinfoils were all you had in the tank, then that would be about right. Also, if you have real plants in the tank, then the tinfoils would put a swift and messy end to them too.

Lupin 02-20-2007 10:32 PM

Re: Tin Foil Barbs

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuck
I have a 55 gal with 6 angels, 7 neons, 5 silver dollars, 3 cherry barbs, 4 guppies and 4 zebras. I would like to add 5 or 6 small (2inch) tin foil barbs. I know they will get big, but if I feed them staple food only, will they get along and not grow so fast or am I asking for trouble. Right now everybody gets along fine.

Thanks

Welcome.:wave:

Your tank is overstocked.:) Silver dollars can reach 8 inches and will eat your neons and guppies in no time.:shake:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tophat665
Yes, you'll have a problem. If the tinfoils were all you had in the tank, then that would be about right. Also, if you have real plants in the tank, then the tinfoils would put a swift and messy end to them too.

That includes silver dollars. Any plants will become their salad bar with the exception of Javan ferns.

herefishy 02-21-2007 05:05 PM

Your tank will eventually become overcrowded. But, then you will have an excuse to get another, larger tank. See how this hobby works. Start out with small fish(that will eventually be BIG fish) and small tank(that small fish will eventually outgrow). When small fish become big fish set up big tank. lol
Just a word of advice though. Feed your fish a diverse menu, live food(brine shimp for the angels), veggies(for all), staple food, freeze dried foods(tubifex, bloodworms, ect). They will be healthier and love you for it.
I have 6 LARGE tinfoils myself. They are almost totally herbivorous. I feed them green(veggie) pellets.

chuck 02-22-2007 09:25 AM

Veggies

Quote:

Originally Posted by herefishy
Your tank will eventually become overcrowded. But, then you will have an excuse to get another, larger tank. See how this hobby works. Start out with small fish(that will eventually be BIG fish) and small tank(that small fish will eventually outgrow). When small fish become big fish set up big tank. lol
Just a word of advice though. Feed your fish a diverse menu, live food(brine shimp for the angels), veggies(for all), staple food, freeze dried foods(tubifex, bloodworms, ect). They will be healthier and love you for it.
I have 6 LARGE tinfoils myself. They are almost totally herbivorous. I feed them green(veggie) pellets.

Lupin 02-22-2007 09:27 AM

What is your response, Chuck?:question: