Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Siameese fighting fish? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/siameese-fighting-fish-345850/)

MissBec 02-05-2014 08:18 PM

Siameese fighting fish?

Hi,

I was just wondering what type of equipment I would need to set up the tank? to ensure that the Siamese fighting fish have better quality life (live longer) and is there any books on Siamese fighting fish that you recommend that I should read?

Cheers Bec

crazy4fish 02-05-2014 08:26 PM

they need the same equipment as any other tropical fish. a decent size tank, not the itty bitty little cups and bowls stores try to sell them in, a heater to keep the water temp up, and a filter unless you plan to keep right on top of your water changes. something to clean leftover food and waste off the gravel will also be helpful. besides that and the obvious fishfood, the only other thing I can think of that youd really want to have would be something to dechlorinate your water when you do water changes. im not sure of any books to recommend, im sure other people here will have some for you but just reading through the betta fish threads on this site will help a lot.

SeaHorse 02-05-2014 08:29 PM

We have a whole BETTA forum called Bettafish.com. You can enter one of 2 ways.... key in the address in the address bar, same userid and password. OR

On Our MAIN menu look for the "Fresh Water Fish and Aquariums" section. There is a File folder for Betta Fish. That is a direct link to the Bettafish.com forum. (Our turtle tab works the same way)

Welcome!!

dramaqueen 02-05-2014 08:32 PM

Please keep in mind that you cannot house two males together, just in case you didn't already know that. We look forward to seeing you at bettafish.com.

jimscott 02-06-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dramaqueen (Post 3865266)
Please keep in mind that you cannot house two males together, just in case you didn't already know that. We look forward to seeing you at bettafish.com.

Having worked for a wholesaler, we would bring in 50 female bettas and have them in a 20 gallon tank... that is HEAVILY planted. They are quite unlady-like... much worse than junior high girls in a cafeteria! :-)

jaysee 02-06-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish (Post 3865210)
they need the same equipment as any other tropical fish. a decent size tank, not the itty bitty little cups and bowls stores try to sell them in, a heater to keep the water temp up, and a filter unless you plan to keep right on top of your water changes. something to clean leftover food and waste off the gravel will also be helpful. besides that and the obvious fishfood, the only other thing I can think of that youd really want to have would be something to dechlorinate your water when you do water changes. im not sure of any books to recommend, im sure other people here will have some for you but just reading through the betta fish threads on this site will help a lot.

Yup, just like any other fish. Only thing I would add to the list is a background for the tank. Aside from transforming the look of the tank (for the better), it provides security to the fish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimscott (Post 3867234)
Having worked for a wholesaler, we would bring in 50 female bettas and have them in a 20 gallon tank... that is HEAVILY planted. They are quite unlady-like... much worse than junior high girls in a cafeteria! :-)

The practices of wholesalers and retailer should not be emulated by hobbyists, ESPECIALLY by people who are new. There are entirely different goals between the commercial side of fish keeping and the recreational side.

SeaHorse 02-06-2014 08:18 AM

True Jim and Jaysee. And "heavily planted" is also a "perspective". And who wants your fish hiding all the time anyway? lol I want mine comfortable enough to come visit me at the glass window I peer into.

MissBec... did you find what you needed? Let us know if you did NOT!!

jaysee 02-06-2014 08:30 AM

A small tank is a small tank, no matter how many plants you cram in there. Too, plants take up space in the aquarium....too many and there will be even less space for the fish.

MissBec 02-06-2014 10:20 PM

I'm only planning to have 2 fish, one Siamese and another fish friend, I only have 30 litre tank which I think is a decent size what type of filter I would need?
Posted via Mobile Device

Flint 02-07-2014 07:37 AM

How about a snail friend? Almost all small fish I can think of need 5 or more.