Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking my aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/stocking-my-aquarium-345802/)

AndreaC 02-05-2014 08:00 PM

Stocking my aquarium

Hi Everyone :-)
I have a tall 20 gallon tank that I want to turn into a planted community tank. I'm thinking of getting 2 electric blue rams, 5 or so tetras of some description 4 corys two ottos and another feature fish, maybe a gourami. Would that work? If anyone can think of anything better than a gourami to use as a feature fish I'm open to suggestions :-)

crazy4fish 02-05-2014 08:20 PM

Since its a tall tank and not a long one be careful not to crowd the bottom too much. the rams and corys will both stay on the lower level and rams can be territorial. If there isnt enough room for them and all the cories they might show some agression towards them. what types of tetras did you have in mind? and I think gouramis make great center piece fish. i had a dwarf gourami for a while and absolutely loved his color and personality.

AndreaC 02-05-2014 10:39 PM

Thanks for your reply :) So do you think the corys would be a bad idea? If so, should I replace them with something else? The rams are essential! I'm thinking of black widow tetras, or maybe zebra danios.

crazy4fish 02-06-2014 01:20 AM

What are the dimensions of your tank? And both the black widows and danios would be good. i personally like the look of the black widow tetras better(:

jimscott 02-06-2014 07:39 AM

Provide plants and or aquarium rocks / shale to help with the territoriality.

jaysee 02-06-2014 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndreaC (Post 3866378)
Thanks for your reply :) So do you think the corys would be a bad idea? If so, should I replace them with something else? The rams are essential! I'm thinking of black widow tetras, or maybe zebra danios.

If you choose to go with Corys I would get pandas - small species. Only time I think you might see a problem between them and the rams is if/when the cichlids spawn. Getting just one ram will ensure a more peaceful tank. A 20 gallon is a small tank - stock small fish. Instead of the black widows how about black neons. They stay in the top half of the tank and are pretty good schoolers. That's as small of a tank as I would put them in though.

AndreaC 02-07-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4fish (Post 3866730)
What are the dimensions of your tank? And both the black widows and danios would be good. i personally like the look of the black widow tetras better(:

The tank's dimensions are 51W x 34D x 56H cm

Also, I wasn't planning to breed the rams, I just thought that two would look better than one. Would two give me too many problems though?