Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Algae Problem - two maybe three types (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/algae-problem-two-maybe-three-types-3456/)

ttiger72 02-20-2007 12:15 PM

Algae Problem - two maybe three types

Well I am starting to get an Algae problem. I have two maybe three types of Algae. I have black brush algea on my Anbuias nana and coffeefolia (sp?) and alternanthera reineckii. There are a couple of leaves on the alternanthera that have very bright green algae, not many though. I also have blue/green algae on my tank glass at the substrate line and below.

Tank Specs:
29G with 65w CFL 6700K Coralife Bulb (light is on 14 hours daily)
6 Danios
4 Praecox Rainbows
2 Bolovian Rams
2 Otos
12+ Ghost Shrimp
0 Ammonia and Nitrites
0-5 Nitrates

I dose Flourish twice a week a half cap full or so and Flourish Excel every other day the dosage according to the directions. Both are given in the morning when I turn the light on.

I am planning on dipping in Excel dip tonight, 10p water to 10p Excel on the affected plants.

What else I can do to try and keep the Algae off of the plants?

jones57742 02-20-2007 03:06 PM

tiger:

The following thread may be of some help:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.p...653&highlight=

Please post any questions after you have reviewed the thread.

TR

scottysgirl 02-20-2007 03:12 PM

How are your plants growing? If your plant growth is good and you don't have a ton of algae I would recommend getting a few (three was enough for my 29 gallon) algae-eating shrimp. If plant growth is poor I would work on fixing that first, and then dealing with the algae.

ttiger72 02-20-2007 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jones57742
tiger:

The following thread may be of some help:
http://www.fishforum.com/viewtopic.p...653&highlight=

Please post any questions after you have reviewed the thread.

TR

I took a look and I don't think I have hair algae, I know that I have Black Brush Algae, it's black and only on the plants and won't rub off. The green "fuzz" on a few of the Alternanthera leaves rubs off the black doesn't. The Blue/Green stuff on the tank by the substrate rubs off easily.

I have also noticed tonight red spots on my driftwood, and now greenish areas.

This really started to take off once I started feeding bloodworms for my Rams about 3 weeks ago. I am not sure what to test for to determine if there is excess nutrients in the water or how to get rid of them. I am also unsure how to feed bloodworms without making a huge mess in the tank in the process (they are frozen).

I think that I am going to start dosing Excel daily and Flourish three times a week using the correct dosages for my water volume.

ttiger72 02-20-2007 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottysgirl
How are your plants growing? If your plant growth is good and you don't have a ton of algae I would recommend getting a few (three was enough for my 29 gallon) algae-eating shrimp. If plant growth is poor I would work on fixing that first, and then dealing with the algae.

My plants grow very well, so that's not a problem.

tophat665 02-20-2007 09:44 PM

I'd cut back the light to 10 hours a day. Put it on a timer to make it consistent. Start it an hour later, end an hour earlier, and take two hours out in the middle. Won't solve the problem, but it ought to help.

FDStation152 02-20-2007 09:47 PM

Well I'm not sure about the algae but I feed frozen bloodworms to my tank every day so I can help ya out with that. I take a small jar (used only for this purpose) and dip some tankwater into it. I then thaw the cube of bloodworms in this water and then use a pipette (also only for bloodworm feeding) to feed the fish. It allows them to get almost all of them before they even reach the bottom of the tank since you are controlling how fast they are released into the water and should help cut down any problems caused by overfeeding.

ttiger72 02-21-2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FDStation152
Well I'm not sure about the algae but I feed frozen bloodworms to my tank every day so I can help ya out with that. I take a small jar (used only for this purpose) and dip some tankwater into it. I then thaw the cube of bloodworms in this water and then use a pipette (also only for bloodworm feeding) to feed the fish. It allows them to get almost all of them before they even reach the bottom of the tank since you are controlling how fast they are released into the water and should help cut down any problems caused by overfeeding.

That is great info. Any idea where I can get a pipette though?

ttiger72 02-21-2007 08:08 AM

I uploaded some pictures here

FDStation152 02-21-2007 12:15 PM

The one I have came from an old test kit. I've also used a small turkey baster or an eye dropper. They all work effectively.