Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Tiger Oscar Aquarium on a Budget (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/tiger-oscar-aquarium-budget-345554/)

LotusLycan 02-05-2014 03:29 PM

Tiger Oscar Aquarium on a Budget
 
The 2 cichlids I need to bring home are roughly 1.5-2" and I can only get a 20gal tank for now. How long can they stay in that tank? What about a 30 or 40gal tank? I realize they'll need a lot more space overall, but right now it just isn't possible.
Also, are there any fish that could help clean up their mess while they're in the 20gal, or is that just way too small for it to be a possibility?

These are not the type of fish I would have liked to start out with since they seem to be a little difficult. I don't know anyone around here that wants them though and Petsmart won't take them back. I refuse to just leave them to die at my old work :/

EDIT: A pet store in my area told me that the growth rate is similar to a ball python in that it can be somewhat controlled. He said if I only feed my fish a couple times a week they'll be fine, but they will not grow quite as fast and therefore will allow me time to get a larger tank.

Flint 02-05-2014 03:52 PM

Quote:

The 2 cichlids I need to bring home are roughly 1.5-2" and I can only get a 20gal tank for now. How long can they stay in that tank? What about a 30 or 40gal tank? I realize they'll need a lot more space overall, but right now it just isn't possible.
Also, are there any fish that could help clean up their mess while they're in the 20gal, or is that just way too small for it to be a possibility?
Oscars grow 1"+ a month. A 40 breeder would be best if that's all you can get now but you literally have a matter of about 5 months before they need to be in a 120 gallon. 75 is minimum for one Oscar. You can't put ANYTHING else in the tank. The water quality is already going to be hard to control. You can't even put anything with them in a 120. Just simply too high of a bioload from the Oscars.

Quote:

These are not the type of fish I would have liked to start out with since they seem to be a little difficult. I don't know anyone around here that wants them though and Petsmart won't take them back. I refuse to just leave them to die at my old work :/
Try putting ads on your local craigslist. Just make sure they are going to an appropriate sized home, not an "I'll upgrade when they're bigger" home. This happens about 1/50 times.

Quote:

EDIT: A pet store in my area told me that the growth rate is similar to a ball python in that it can be somewhat controlled. He said if I only feed my fish a couple times a week they'll be fine, but they will not grow quite as fast and therefore will allow me time to get a larger tank.
While, if you put a fish in a small tank, it won't grow large, it'll kill it just as fast as being wherever they are now, if not faster. Albeit by bad water quality or stunting, it WILL kill them. If you cannot take on the full responsibility for these fish, I don't suggest you take them at all. I understand you're trying to help them, but you will harm them just as bad if you bring them and throw them in another too-small tank.

jeaninel 02-05-2014 04:05 PM

Oscars are extremely fast growing fish. they can grow from 1 to 2 inches per month. my Tiger Oscar was about the same size as yours are now and he is now a good 12 inches and I've had him less than a year. they're also extremely messy fish. I would not start them in a 20 gallon even at that size. maybe you can post an ad on Craigslist. one Oscar alone will need a 75 gallon tank. Two would need a 6 ft tank. I know right now they are small but it won't be long at all until they need that bigger tank. What the petshop owner was talking about is called stunting and is not healthy for the fish. Always best to buy the right size tank and then the fish rather than the other way around.
Posted via Mobile Device

LotusLycan 02-05-2014 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaninel (Post 3862898)
Always best to buy the right size tank and then the fish rather than the other way around.

They're in a 250gal tank right now, but the owner refuses to feed them. I didn't buy them intending to take them back after a couple months.

Craigslist isn't turning up anything right now unfortunately, but I'll keep trying.

Ok so a 20gal is clearly out of the question, but a 37gal or so may work for awhile. I will do whatever I possibly can to make sure the water is clean and they're healthy. I only need them to be in this tank (or slightly larger) for 6 months. After that, I can buy a much larger tank because I'll have my own house.

Flint 02-05-2014 06:39 PM

They can't be in a 37 for 6 months. It will harm them. You are really best off leaving them in the 250.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2