Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Gar compatibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/gar-compatibility-34545/)

Freddy 12-31-2009 06:03 PM

Gar compatibility

How compatible would a gar be with my other fish? I have 2 black ghost knife fish, 2 pink kissing gouramis, and 1 pleco. I will definitely put in a spiny eel, not sure what kind yet, and some leaf fish too. I'm going to get them as soon as my new tank has finished cycling.

molliefan09 12-31-2009 06:21 PM

what size tank??

Freddy 12-31-2009 08:37 PM

29 gallon

Kelso 01-01-2010 02:01 AM

...you do realize the black ghost knife reaches to a foot or more in length...the pleco reaching upwards to a foot and a half, while the eel and leaf fish require some special set ups, and don't even get me started on adding a Gar to this mix...I may sound harsh, but what you're doing is terrible and will ultimately lead to you torturing the animals and wasting money. Understanding the necessities of YOUR PETS is your HIGHEST PRIORITY and BIGGEST RESPONSIBILITY

mollies 01-01-2010 02:08 AM

Not to mention the gars will get up to a foot or larger. I have seen them get to 20 inchs. in large tanks. No i would not recomend you puting them in your tank. You would need a tank of 125 gallons or larger to keep all of the fish in that you have mentioned. Sorry to be the bear of bad news. But i would rehome them asap. good luck to your fish. How big are you BGK's?

Freddy 01-02-2010 11:43 AM

Got it. No gar.:| The BGKs are about 5 inches long. Kelso and I talked, and I'm looking into a 125 gallon aquarium. I'm giving the pleco away. In short, I'm trying to clean up where I messed up. Just curious, how big of a tank would I need to comfortably have a gar?

Also, leaf fish only require live food, not a special setup. If I do end up getting a spiny eel, it will be a peacock eel, the smallest, which only gets to be about 10". They both need hiding places which I can provide readily, and spiny eels like to dig in the gravel for worms, and I have a whiteworm culture growing at my house. I really don't want to argue, so I'll do some more research before buying anything.

Kelso 01-02-2010 11:57 AM

Leaf fish are something I have been considering. They do much better in soft acidic water, which I naturally have. They also appreciate heavy plant cover and gentle flow. In a sense it's nothing too special, but it takes an effort to get what they like. The eels like a soft substrate, something like sand or 1-2 mm.

Freddy 01-02-2010 09:15 PM

I have slightly acidic water, but mine's hard. My substrate is pretty close to 1-2mm, with some larger rocks here and there.

jokerman43 01-10-2010 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelso (Post 297794)
...you do realize the black ghost knife reaches to a foot or more in length...the pleco reaching upwards to a foot and a half, while the eel and leaf fish require some special set ups, and don't even get me started on adding a Gar to this mix...I may sound harsh, but what you're doing is terrible and will ultimately lead to you torturing the animals and wasting money. Understanding the necessities of YOUR PETS is your HIGHEST PRIORITY and BIGGEST RESPONSIBILITY

Yikes!

Kelso 01-12-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jokerman43 (Post 303804)
Yikes!

Ya, I get heated sometimes, hahaha