Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Stocking 45g - Help me with ideas & compatibility (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/stocking-45g-help-me-ideas-compatibility-34516/)

Angel079 12-31-2009 09:34 AM

Stocking 45g - Help me with ideas & compatibility

And tank no 2 to be stocked is the 45g...here's my thoughts:

8x Rummy nose (4 already in tank, wanna stock as soon as healthy)
6x Emperor Tetra
8x Cardinal Tetra

5x Albino Cory ( already in tank not optional, will stock to 6 thou)
1x pleco (in tank already, not optional)
2x chinease algae eaters (in tank already, not optional)

I'm very unsure about the group sizes of the Tetra's, the Rummy's def need to be more then 4...with this set up I think its maxed out so I could only shift figures around really.

Whats your thoughts here???

bettababy 12-31-2009 02:22 PM

In that size tank it would be pretty full once the number of rummynose are increased to 8. I wouldn't push it by adding 6 emporors and 8 cardinals both. Maybe choose 1 of those 2 other species and call it done... What type of pleco is in there? What type of filtration are you running? What are the dimensions of your tank?

In case you're not aware, chinese algae eaters are known to become aggressive when they mature, and they will eat fish. You might want to keep an eye on those 2 if they are in with fish as sensitive as rummynose tetras and/or cardinals. Chinese algae eaters are notorious for eating many species of tetras, livebearers, etc.

Angel079 12-31-2009 02:28 PM

Are you really trying to say on a 45g I should ONLY stock the following?
8x Rummy nose (4 already in tank, wanna stock as soon as healthy)
5x Albino Cory ( already in tank not optional, will stock to 6 thou)
1x pleco (in tank already, not optional)
2x chinease algae eaters (in tank already, not optional)

And yes I'm aware of this. I know you don't rarely read any of my posts, but I'm more one of these type of people that infrom themselves first and pref planted naturals aquas :-)

I'm using the Cascade 600, between that and the plants, plenty sufficient ;-)

bettababy 12-31-2009 02:35 PM

Part of the reason for my suggestion of not adding too many more fish is because of the known aggression of the chinese algae eaters. If you reread my post I suggested choosing 1 of the 2 species of other tetras, just not both. When those algae eaters are full grown they are going to average 5 - 6 inches each, and they require quite a bit of territory to keep them somewhat peaceful.
The other reason for my suggestion is due to tank shape... and is why I asked for dimensions. If the tank is tall vs long, it limits area. That will limit territory, etc etc etc.

Angel079 12-31-2009 03:23 PM

Missed the dimension Q, my bet: 4 ft long, by 12" by 17"
Pleco Q, pls read here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ibility-34515/

Like I said I am aware of what you're saying about the algae guys, but being the hobbiest that i am there's 2 back up plans, in case there are future issues, so I'm def not worried there.

So in essence: Group Rummy, 1 Group 'other' Tetra and that's it for the 45g.....that's a extremely contrary new set up compared to any other tanks to me....and God know I had never had overstocked tanks by now means lol

MoneyMitch 12-31-2009 05:19 PM

i notice betta lady said that the chinease algae eaters "can" get aggerssive when "mature", those are key words right there. cant say she is wrong or right but what she is saying is that when they get older you "Might" have a aggro issue but im going to assume that like most of us you will get them small which kinda answers the question of yes throw them in there. just my two sense on the stock though personally i cant stand tetras and am a all out cichlid guy but the ones you have choose there look pretty cool and are for the most part real peaceful. i would throw em all inb there and just watch how things develop if problems show their face then move things around accordingly.

Just my 9 cents :P

HollyinWA 12-31-2009 07:41 PM

Hi Angel,

I was in a fish store yesterday, and I saw some Cardinal Tetras. They are really pretty. I also saw a Denison Barb which is neat looking and said to be peaceful. They look to be nice swimmers and just very clean looking and defined...if that makes any sense.

~Holly
P.S. You probably already know what a Denison Barb looks like, but just in case, here is a link: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/p...17&pcatid=2217

bettababy 01-01-2010 01:40 AM

The Denison Barbs are not real peaceful... I would more consider them "peaceful for a barb", which is still quite aggressive. They do well with the larger rainbows and other peaceful type barbs such as cherry barbs, gold barbs, odessa barbs. They're gorgeous fish, and watching them in a good size school is really eye catching.

jaysee 01-01-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 297494)
Missed the dimension Q, my bet: 4 ft long, by 12" by 17"
Pleco Q, pls read here http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ibility-34515/

Not to be rude, but do you realize the link opens up a whole new window with all kinds of other words to sort through in order to find the answer to a very simple question you could have just answered? She asked what kind of pleco.

Angel079 01-01-2010 11:18 AM

Thanks Mitch! Yea I miss my yellows too but with THIS soft water....unless I mess with it I won't be housing ANY :|

One thing on Denison Barb everybody kinda overlooks here: Tank size !!! That would be way too cruel in a 45 tank guys!!! Luckily I know what I'm doing here with my tanks...but telling me on one side to only have ONE school of Tetra's in it and then suggestion Denison's on the other hand......outch :roll:

@jaysee: If you'd have looked at the 'other kinds words' you'd have noticed the wordings in there about ID'ing exactly which L-123 I have there ;-) and no I don't wanna be rude, but I found it pointless to post the same thing 2x ;-) and as everybody asks and there's 1 gazillion different l-versions on this planet...Feel free to ID by pictures what L I have :-D