Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   JackBauer here (newbie from Iowa) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/jackbauer-here-newbie-iowa-3450/)

JackBauer 02-20-2007 12:32 AM

JackBauer here (newbie from Iowa)

So, I'm 29 years old. I just got my first aquarium a week ago.

When I was in middle school, I really wanted an aquarium very badly. My father and I would always check out the LFS in the town I grew up, and priced stuff out, but for some reason, we never went through with it. We did this a lot. I mean, maybe a dozen times or so priced everything out.

Ever since then, I've had a desire to get started, but it was never the right time. I got married young, and my wife and I have two children. Our kids are in grade school, and my wife and I are full-time college students at the University of Iowa.

Since we're both students, and we have kids, neither of us really has much time to work, so we're usually broke! I kept bringing up the idea of getting an aquarium but we just couldn't do it. Then two weeks ago, at my wife's grandfather's 90th birthday party, my wife's brother showed up. We haven't seen him in a few years, or even talked to him on the phone or anything, even though he only lives 30 minutes away (complicated, I shall not get in to it).

Anyways, after the party, the family all went out to eat and my brother-in-law somehow brought up his newest tank, 125 gallons. I had no idea that he even had one. To be honest, since it had been so long since we had talked to him, I would have listened to him talk about anything pretty much, just to get some sort of communication going. But it was a lot easier since it was something that did interest me!

During the course of the conversation I mentioned that I always wanted an aquarium but for various reasons couldn't get one. He said he had an old 29 gallon tank just sitting around if I wanted, stand, gravel, siphon hoses, etc. A few days later I called and told him I was interested, and he delivered it all the next day. He stayed to help get it set up with the water and stuff, and left it up to me.

So now here I am. I have absolutely NO IDEA what I'm doing! I realize I probably rambled on too much about something you guys don't care to hear!

Anyways, since I don't know what I am doing, I am counting on people like you here in this forum to help me out, and help me learn.

I took my first picture this week, and I'd like to hear from any of you about what I can do to make my setup better.

Thanks.

LINK TO PICTURE

Lupin 02-20-2007 12:47 AM

Glad you could join us, Jack.:wave: :thumbsup:
:yourock:

sazzy 02-20-2007 02:54 AM

hi and welcome :D
nice story, glad you finnaly got a tank, or you may not have joined fish forum :wink:

Daz 02-20-2007 03:11 AM

Boo, Mr Bauer. :)

Amphitrite 02-20-2007 03:43 AM

Welcome to the forum Jack. :wave:

That's quite a story, and it's amazing, after all these years, how you eventually came about getting the aquarium.

Please don't hesitate to post questions in the fishy sections as you go along, we are all here to help, and hope you and your wife really enjoy your new hobby.

Katherine :)

JackBauer 02-21-2007 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kateyoup
Welcome to the forum Jack. :wave:

That's quite a story, and it's amazing, after all these years, how you eventually came about getting the aquarium.

Please don't hesitate to post questions in the fishy sections as you go along, we are all here to help, and hope you and your wife really enjoy your new hobby.

Katherine :)

Well, it's just my hobby! My wife still isn't too keen on the whole idea yet. She will be I'm sure once I get something beautiful going on here.

Thanks to everyone so far. I appreciate it.