Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   55 Gallon Revamp (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/55-gallon-revamp-344874/)

Cassandra90 02-04-2014 08:35 AM

55 Gallon Revamp

1 Attachment(s)
This weekend I finally revamped my 55 gallon aquarium. My boyfriend and I cleaned the whole tank. We used just hot water and peroxide to clean the hood, lights and tank itself. Then re-rinsed everything in hot water.
I had no idea how much work it would be to completely strip down a tank.

I switched out the substrate to a black sand from petco, added a few fake plants, river rocks, a medium air disc (I need to find a way to keep it down), and a piece of wood that has not soaked and sunk yet.

I have not tested the water yet. I did use the Tetra Safe Start to help the cycle. I will be using this thread to post the results of my water testing. Just to keep track.

I am planning on adding probably 4 fancy goldfish to this tank after it cycles. (First try with goldfish, I have always kept tropical freshwater fish in this tank in the past).

Flint 02-04-2014 12:11 PM

What are you using as an ammonia source? I'm sorry to say if you didn't add one or dose liquid ammonia, your SafeStart bacteria has all died and you need to re-dose with an ammonia source.

Cassandra90 02-04-2014 12:36 PM

I actually used a shrimp in the tank. I read I have to wait for it to start to decompose to help start a cycle. Is that correct?

Flint 02-04-2014 12:38 PM

Yes, it won't start producing ammonia for a few days. The SafeStart won't work. /:

Cassandra90 02-04-2014 12:45 PM

I was kinda skeptical about it. I seen mixed reviews online about it.

Cassandra90 02-04-2014 12:52 PM

Oh by the way I asked for this thread to be deleted since I put it under Freshwater Journals. So I am not to sure how long this will be up for. I felt like it should be under the Journal thread than here.

Flint 02-04-2014 05:58 PM

Tetra Safe Start worked for me but I did a fish-in cycle. Without ammonia the bacteria will just die.

Cassandra90 02-04-2014 09:01 PM

So I found it gross with the shrimp in the tank. I removed it and did a 25% water change. I added ammonia and tested it just now, it was at 1ppm. Should this be higher for it to cycle? Should I test it again in an hour or so? To see if it has changed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Cassandra90 02-04-2014 09:24 PM

I'm so impatient, I tested it again. It is up to 8ppm. At this point what do I do?
Posted via Mobile Device

Flint 02-05-2014 06:29 AM

Do a water change. Anything 8ppm or over will stall your cycle. You want to dose the ammonia so your water tests 4ppm. This will allow for the maximum bioload on your tank. You could add all four fish at once if you really wanted to after it cycled assuming they are still small. Are you going to re-dose TSS once you get your ammonia situation figured out? I've had it work for me.