Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   I brought second hand tank, what should I clean the equipment and tank with? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/i-brought-second-hand-tank-what-344858/)

MissBec 02-04-2014 05:32 AM

I brought second hand tank, what should I clean the equipment and tank with?

Hi,
I am beginner and never owned fish before, I have recently brought second hand tank where it came with all the equipment and ornaments for the tank, how would I clean and disinfect the tank and the accessory it came with that won't harm my fish?

- Gravel Vacuum
- Fake plants
- Pebbles
- Filter
- Light
- PH Kit
- Tank

rsskylight04 02-04-2014 06:28 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum . Congrats on your first tank! So excited for you.
I would use only water and salt to clean it, then rinse with fresh water.
Do you know how to cycle your tank?

Hope you have many years of succesfull fishkeeping and good luck!

Flint 02-04-2014 06:42 AM

A 1/3 ratio of vinegar to water will disinfect and not harm the fish. Just rinse it well when you're done.

Flear 02-04-2014 09:23 AM

odd thought, ... i know bleach is used to clean lots, ... for aquariums though ...
what about using ammonia to clean aquariums (outside so you don't gas yourself - use gloves, etc.)

but whatever residue remains can't be harmful as it could only aid establishing the nitrogen cycle right ???

SeaHorse 02-04-2014 09:40 AM

I have definitely used Vinegar to clean off the white hard water stains. Works great. Rinse well repeat if nec. I even laid the tank on its side (each side and end) and used the vinegar to soak for some time to "work".

Sev102030 02-04-2014 10:59 AM

The 1:3 ratio will work,just make sure to rinse it well. If you can,soak everything in clean water after you clean it. It will help leech out chemicals and harmful bacteria. Also,check if the tank can even hold water without leaking,and if it leaks most aquarium stores sell aquarium grade silicon. Also,once everything is clean,get some water conditioners like prime and use as directed.After that,get some liquid bacteria like API Stress Zyme and dose as directed. After all this, test the ph and see if the fish you want are ok with the ph you have. Once that is all done, leave the tank to run for a day or two to let the water "settle" with the conditioner and bacteria,then check the temperature and make sure it's compatible. Once this is ALLLL done,then get the fish and acclimate them by leaving the bag floating for 20 mins or so to get the temps the same. Then,slowly replace the water in the bag with water in the aquarium. Once done,put your fish in the tank and enjoy your hard work :) Hope this helps,and good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

DKRST 02-04-2014 11:04 AM

Bleach works fine. A 10% bleach solution (1 cup/9 cups water), left on for 10 minutes is inexpensive (just buy a spray bottle) and will kill just about anything. Yes, you absolutely need to rinse well! VERY well. Let all bleached equipment stand dry and empty for at least a day after rinsing. Bleach breaks down relatively quickly.

I use bleach to disinfect all my materials periodically and to clean used tanks. Never had any issue. Use the cheap plain bleach - no fragrances or additives.
Gloves are recommended, and eye protection.

Vinegar is good for the water stains.

SeaHorse 02-04-2014 11:49 AM

Many years ago... like 40-45...... I would have used Salt on a sponge/cloth... abrasive as it has grains to it. We didn't have "pot scrubbers" by the millions at the cheap $1 store... we had Steel wool and that would ruin a tank.

Flint 02-04-2014 12:19 PM

GE Silicone I works for sealing tanks and is much cheaper. You need to let it set until it doesn't smell, though. Just don't use Silicone II it has harmful chemicals in it.

MissBec 02-04-2014 07:57 PM

Hi, rsskylight04 what is cycling?

I am having trouble removing the stains inside the tank, i have tried using vinegar and hot boiling water but it only remove little bit off, is there any tips to remove water stain?