Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Update 55g "Nightmare tank" and what it looks today (Words of algae encouragement) (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/update-55g-nightmare-tank-what-looks-34456/)

Angel079 12-30-2009 10:46 AM

Update 55g "Nightmare tank" and what it looks today (Words of algae encouragement)

11 Attachment(s)
Some of you have followed what I refer to as my 55g nightmare tank. I do want to post these pictures today not only to show you all what happened and where I'm at now (6 weeks after set up) but mainly I want to show off these pictures to ENCOURAGE others on here. This tank was incredibly heavily infested by several different types of algae, to the extent I was certain i'd loose my plants and ditch the tank at its worst stage...but below you'll see what can happen if one just keeps on going & going and not give up:-D

I also changed the set up a lil - Any feedback's & suggestions welcome. I know the plants aren't as healthy looking as they could, but given this tanks circumstances (and the one's that followed me know exactly what I'm ref to) these plants look incredible to me right now after what they been throught.

The first picture you see here is the tank set up on Day 1 which was Nov 12th.
This was then followed by hardcore ick breakout and 5 diff kinds algae (see following 5 pictures). My Dwarf baby tears at that stage were actually covered SO BAD in slime algae, that I was certain I was to loose them along with the tiger lotus up front. Also the Ludweige & Hygro's where covered in algae so bad I was certain the plant would die underneath it. This was then followed by almost 3 weeks of hardcore cloudiness to the extent I couldn't see the back end of the tank no more.

Now a lot of patience, headaches, research, water changes and weeks later the last 5 pictures below are from last night.

Bottom Line: No matter how bad your tank looks, no matter how badly infested it is: DO NOT GIVE UP!!!

stephanieleah 12-30-2009 10:52 AM

WOW. Amazing recovery. Kudos!

mrdemin 12-30-2009 12:10 PM

Nice, I don't think I've ever seen this tank before!!! Looks very good!

What is that bushy star looking plant on the lefttt?

southamericancichlidguy23 12-30-2009 12:47 PM

yea i wanna knw that one to lol wut is that bushy star plant

Angel079 12-30-2009 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdemin (Post 296746)
Nice, I don't think I've ever seen this tank before!!! Looks very good!

What is that bushy star looking plant on the lefttt?

Then you must have missed my posts in early Nov tssss:lol:

Uhm...the one attached to the driftwood in the far ;left bottom corner? That's the dwarf baby tears, the one's that tried to die (still some parts look lil crappy) but totally came back nicely.

Angel079 12-30-2009 02:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
just to be sure we talk about the same plant here....this is the dwarf baby tears....was that the one ya'll wanted to know bout?

LisaC144 12-30-2009 03:53 PM

Just remember your "bottom line" in this post as you finish fighting you ick outbreak ;-)

willow 12-30-2009 04:38 PM

well done.
i think you've done an amazing job,and i'm glad you stuck with it.

mrdemin 12-30-2009 04:45 PM

Not calling you a liar but that doesnt look like baby tears ?

Mean Harri 12-30-2009 05:22 PM

Yay \O/