Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Problems with driftwood (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/problems-driftwood-3443/)

angel lover 02-19-2007 09:10 PM

Problems with driftwood

I recently purchase a big piece of driftwood that was supposed to be safe for aquariums but there seems to be a white film that forms on it when I feed the fish certain foods. Does anyone here know what's going on? I've attached a few pictures to show you the problem.http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/938_MVC201F_1.jpg
http://www.fishforum.com/userpix/938_MVC203F_1.jpg

magic_marty 02-19-2007 10:00 PM

ewwww, that looks nasty.Did you boil it before you used it ? I know you mentioned it was bought as safe for aquarium use but you should probably always still boil it to make sure its safe, and toss in some salt to help clean out the unwanted things as you boil it..Just my opinion..But i've read that other members on here always boil there drift wood even tho it says its safe when the purchase it.

Lupin 02-19-2007 10:47 PM

Looks like fungus or molds to me.:shake: Another possibility is algae. I'd be careful if it was fungus. The fungus spores will easily develop on fish's wounds resulting into fungus disease.

Gump 02-20-2007 12:04 AM

Its no problem it happens to grape wood all the time when being first added to a tank. Plecos will consume it quickly or you can take it out and scrub it off with a tooth brush. Dont worry about your fish.

scottysgirl 02-20-2007 12:39 PM

Has anyone ever tried treating wood with polyurethane, I've heard that can be done and that it works well for preventing fungus/release of tannins.

angel lover 02-20-2007 12:54 PM

Thanks you guys for all the replies. I think I will just watch it a while longer and keep the "stuff" cleaned off the wood.

satwood 02-08-2008 05:02 PM

So, I'd like to reprise this thread if I could. I just also added a big hunk of grapewood to my 20 gal long tank. It almost immediately fuzzed up. I prepared it by pouring boiling water over it and letting it sit all night in a tub. I did NOT boil it because I feared I would have made it split. The wood was dry when I bought it and sold for terrarium and aquarium use at the store.

The fuzz or fungus has been off and on now for about 2 weeks and does not seem yet to be going away. Does anyone know what it actually is? Should I be worried about it?

My water is about ph7.4 and my amonia, nitrate and nitire numbers are all 0 - minimal. The tank has been up and alive since last September.

Thoughts?

Lupin 02-08-2008 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by satwood
So, I'd like to reprise this thread if I could. I just also added a big hunk of grapewood to my 20 gal long tank. It almost immediately fuzzed up. I prepared it by pouring boiling water over it and letting it sit all night in a tub. I did NOT boil it because I feared I would have made it split. The wood was dry when I bought it and sold for terrarium and aquarium use at the store.

The fuzz or fungus has been off and on now for about 2 weeks and does not seem yet to be going away. Does anyone know what it actually is? Should I be worried about it?

My water is about ph7.4 and my amonia, nitrate and nitire numbers are all 0 - minimal. The tank has been up and alive since last September.

Thoughts?

In short, you are not supposed to use wood or vines of fruit-bearing trees as they have the tendency to produce molds which are messy and unsightly. Switch to mopani or any other suitable wood.

angel lover 02-10-2008 04:50 PM

[quote="Lupin"]
Quote:

Originally Posted by satwood

Thoughts?

In short, you are not supposed to use wood or vines of fruit-bearing trees as they have the tendency to produce molds which are messy and unsightly. Switch to mopani or any other suitable wood.[/quote

So - my grapewood problem never got better and finally removed it. I have concluded that you can't always go by labels on stuff you by in a petstore. Their bottom line is selling stuff. You can find your best advice on forums like this. An expensive lesson.

satwood 02-10-2008 05:39 PM

OK, thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately for me a small family of baby red-wags has taken up refuge under the log and show no signs of wanting to sell. So, I'll probably just live with it for a while, until I can catch them and move them to an isolation tank.

As long as the stuff won't hurt my fish - that's the important thing. Appearance is secondary.