Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Red Tail Black Shark not eating :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/red-tail-black-shark-not-eating-344282/)

Crazyfish 02-03-2014 11:16 AM

Red Tail Black Shark not eating :(

I've got a 2 inch red tail shark that doesn't seem to like the flakes or algae wafers but instead nibbles on the pebbles, rocks and plastic plants. I know he's probably surviving off scraps and algae but I want to give him something he enjoys to eat. Any suggestions?

NeonFlux 02-03-2014 03:42 PM

Frozen bloodworms would get him on a feeding frenzy status :D Black sharks nibble at gravel all the time, it's in their nature to forage like that, no worries.

-William

Crazyfish 02-03-2014 10:50 PM

Thanks for the info... it seems he decided to munch on the quarter algae wafer I put in his cave yesterday. Maybe he likes stale food? :D I got two angelfish for buddies today so maybe some competition will give him some motivation.

NeonFlux 02-04-2014 12:08 AM

Cool, and you're welcome.

rsskylight04 02-04-2014 12:44 AM

Live blackworms are #1 for picky eaters but they might be hard to find. Try frozen brine shrimp too.
Good luck!

Crazyfish 02-04-2014 11:10 AM

I don't have the luxury to feed my fish live or frozen food as the wife would have a hissy fit if she knew I kept stuff like that around the house :| So far I've had the best luck with the algae wafers. The RTS didn't care much for the brine shrimp meal or the dried blood worms. I usually get them used to eating flakes but this one doesn't seem interested in them. Thanks for the suggestions :)

rsskylight04 02-04-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazyfish (Post 3856026)
I don't have the luxury to feed my fish live or frozen food as the wife would have a hissy fit if she knew I kept stuff like that around the house :| So far I've had the best luck with the algae wafers. The RTS didn't care much for the brine shrimp meal or the dried blood worms. I usually get them used to eating flakes but this one doesn't seem interested in them. Thanks for the suggestions :)

I know what you mean... I have to hide my frozen foods so wifey won't see and freak out.
Good luck

Crazyfish 02-04-2014 09:54 PM

Good news... the little RTS came around and is eating the flakes. I think he learned from the Angelfish who take no time to chase and devour them. Sometimes I forget Angels are Cichlids. The second day I had this shark, he was exploring the top of the tank and apparently jumped out and into the power filter. I have no idea how but he ended up in the little compartment where the inlet and the motor/propeller is. When I realized he was missing and searched frantically all over the tank, I thought he had literally disappeared. This little guy is nothing but trouble... think he's going to be my favorite fish in the tank :)

NeonFlux 02-04-2014 11:56 PM

Ah looks like he finally discovered what the angels were snacking on haha good tastey stuff.. Glad to hear he is learning to go for flakes now.

rsskylight04 02-06-2014 12:53 PM

I love redtails... so much personality, nice to hear that he's eating they can be very quirky.