Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Help me to stock my 18 gallon tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/help-me-stock-my-18-gallon-343682/)

milindsaraswala 02-02-2014 11:40 AM

Help me to stock my 18 gallon tank

i have 18 gallon tank with flora max substrate, java moss on bog wood, cobomba, anubias nana, dwarf sagitteria and glosso plant.

I was looking for some stocking for my tank. I like neon tetra or guppies and also like shrimp advice me some center piece fish.

thank you.

NeonFlux 02-02-2014 12:12 PM

10 Neon Tetras
7 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Praecox Neon Rainbows
6 Corydoras Sterbai
8 Red Serpae Tetras
3 Ottocinclus catfish

I'd say this is a pretty good mix of community fish with many different colors. :D Have fun.

Poleren 02-02-2014 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonFlux (Post 3843922)
10 Neon Tetras
7 Harlequin Rasboras
5 Praecox Neon Rainbows
6 Corydoras Sterbai
8 Red Serpae Tetras
3 Ottocinclus catfish

I'd say this is a pretty good mix of community fish with many different colors. :D Have fun.

In a 18 gallon, that's way overstocked? No, you should put in:
6 Neon Tetras
3 Red Wag Platies
And if you want to really stretch it, add a Veiltail or Delta Tail Betta.

crazy4fish 02-02-2014 02:55 PM

I agree that the first suggestion would be much too crowded. but id also be careful of mixing neons and bettas. the neons just might destroy that gorgeous tail fin. a nice center piece fish would be a dwarf gourami. they are decent sized and colorful and won't be aggressive like the larger gouramis as long as you only get one. Some nice sailfin mollies or swordtails would also look great.

crazy4fish 02-02-2014 03:02 PM

A pair of rams for the center piece would be nice as well.

jimscott 02-02-2014 04:31 PM

1 pair of adult fancy guppies...and sit back and relax....

Diver Down 02-03-2014 07:44 AM

I see a number of folks here are recommending live-bearers, e.g. guppies, mollies, swordtails, platies. For a new aquarist, the idea of having, handling, and protecting fry is a bit daunting. Can anyone comment on the complexity and additional labor that are associated with housing these species?

jimscott 02-03-2014 07:53 AM

As long as you have plants (hiding places), there is no real extra upkeep. it's just enjoyable watching the cycle of life veing perpetuated.

Diver Down 02-03-2014 07:58 AM

The cycle of life usually includes predation. If deliberate breeding is not the aquarist's intent, I suppose it is okay to let nature take its course. I'm wondering, though, what to do if some of the fry survive. I imagine there is a risk of tank overpopulation. What do folks do in that case? Take the young ones to the LFS? What does the LFS do with them?

crazy4fish 02-03-2014 08:14 AM

If enough fry survive to the point it over populates your tank you simply bring the extra fish to the LFS and most will give you store credit as long as they are healthy. theb the store will either put them up for sale right away ir quarentine them first to ensure their health before selling.