Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   advice for angelfish/catfish, listless with some redness (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/advice-angelfish-catfish-listless-some-redness-34357/)

herbwin 12-28-2009 04:59 PM

advice for angelfish/catfish, listless with some redness

Hi! I have a well established 75 gal with undergravel and powerheads, fish are 3 3-4" silver dollars, 1 4" (body) angelfish, 1 9" striped raphael cat and about a dozen asst tetras.

A couple months ago a second raphael cat begain to lay around listlessly and unresponsivly (more than usual) on the bottom and later passed away. He did not have any visible body symptoms until death, then I noticed redness around the anus, which I addtributed to bloating.

The other cat as begun to act similar over the past couple weeks and now the angelfish is laying flat on the gravel, but he will move if disturbed. He is now showing some redness at the base of his fins. Tetras are all fine.

I have not added any new fish in a long time and they are all old, tetras are 2-5+ years, angel 4+ and the cat is 25+.

I have been "out" of fishkeeping for quite some time and would like some suggestions for current name-brand medications or combos that might help and still be safe for all the fish. Many thanks in advance :)

Twistersmom 12-29-2009 07:02 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

I am no fish disease expert, but sounds like it could be Septicemia. Here is a link, so you can see if it is a match. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/t...es-8179/page3/

For treatment, Maracyn and Maracyn-Two can be used together. Keep the water extra clean, free of ammonia and nitrites.

Lupin 12-30-2009 02:12 AM

Try answering this so all bases can be covered and proper treatments recommended ASAP.

Quote:

1. What is the size of your tank?

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

herbwin 12-30-2009 01:05 PM

Thanks for your posts, though they came too late for my trip to the pet shop.

I did go with M + M2, that was the "go to" med back in the day, but I was hoping there something newer (and cheaper) availible now. I will try to post any results later. :)

herbwin 12-30-2009 01:14 PM

BTW, when did they start putting Maracyn in pouches? I don't like it. I think I inhaled half the doses!

Twistersmom 12-30-2009 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbwin (Post 296774)
BTW, when did they start putting Maracyn in pouches? I don't like it. I think I inhaled half the doses!

I know, the pouches are a pain! Keep us updated. Hope the fish recover well for you.

herbwin 03-12-2010 12:01 AM

Follow up: Goldie the angelfish was too far gone, she will be missed. The catfish seems very much improved however and in better overall spirits. I am in the process of fattening him up, he has gotten very thin.
Posted via Mobile Device