Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   barb information needed!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/barb-information-needed-34350/)

biokid101 12-28-2009 04:47 PM

barb information needed!!

i have 2 green babrs in a 36 gallon tank with 4 swordtails,1 pleco, 3 cories,2 angelfish,and 2 silver dollars. i asked my lfs if i have to many fish and he said no u can put a couple more in there.
but anyway i bought the barbs a couple weeks ago and they were light colored.they are about a half an inch big. i saw their adult size and i thot its not to big.i didnt read much about these cause i keep getting tiger barb as a response and thats not right.
for the past couple weeks one of them is dark and fat really fat.and the other is skinny and light colored. they are both the same age.i was wondering if the fat one was a girl with eggs.they get close to each other and chase each other around but not fighting.
how can i sex them?how many babies do they have?how can you tell a male from a female? other info excepted.

hoondiggi95 12-28-2009 05:37 PM

They like to swim in schools and can be aggressive if they aren't in schools.

biokid101 12-28-2009 08:45 PM

they arent aggressive to any of my fish but it could happen once they get older. they are still young and their fins are clear not black.

biokid101 01-24-2010 09:31 AM

they were ripping each other the other day omg i couldnt stop them everything i did to seprate them they kept fighting. it looked like a betta spawn right before it happens when the circle each other. they were biting each other and everything. but they didnt have any damage thats wierd.

LisaC144 01-24-2010 10:30 AM

Your LFS was wrong. Your tank is very overstocked. Silver Dollars are schooling fish that should be kept in group of AT LEAST 3, preferably 5. At adult size, they need a MINIMUM of a 75g long tank (the bigger the better). 55g would be good to start for juvies as long as your can upgrade later. IMO, a pair of Angels should be kept in a minimum of 40g (although many say 29g is enough) especially with your swords ,cories, and pleco. Silver Dollars and Angels can coexist just fine, but they will need a MUCH LARGER tank to stay happy and healthy. Hoondiggi is correct. Barbs need to be kept in large schools to cut down on aggression. Hence the reason they are tairing each other apart now.

Angel079 01-24-2010 01:54 PM

Your LFS is fooling you quite some there.

For starters adult Angels will reach a size incl their fins of 10" and that'll make it pretty hard for them to even turn around in a 36g, ideally you'd wanna keep them in a 55g.
The Barbs need to be in groups of at LEAST 6+; and they may not nip now, but once they grow a lil your Angels will be a sure attach for them.
Cories are very sensitive fish and they need the security of groups and they should not be kept in less then 8!
Silver dollar are to be kept in tank 60g+ and in larger groups as well to avoid territory behavior matters.

Also some of the fish you have there pref soft water and others hard water - You will agree only one kinda water comes out of your tap....so what's your pH and hardness?

This all said, this tanks is a VERY unfortunate set up and here's what I'd recommend you to do
Bring the Silver Dollars & Barbs back to your LFS in exchange for at least 5 more cory that you already have. And dep on whatever your water is add another peaceful fish, eg more male swordtails to this set up.

I'm not telling you all this to be hurtful in any way, I'm just trying to guide you to a way of tank set up that will NOT cause you major headaches and frustrations few weeks from now.

biokid101 01-24-2010 07:02 PM

idk what the ph is. im 14 and the angelfish and silver dollars werent my idea the tank wasnt mine at that time and i didnt even know my moms bf was gonna get them. i only have 1 angelfish left. and its roughly 4 inches. there is no way that im gonna be alowed to get a 55g or even a 10g in my house! my parents r really strict and care about money and dont want me to waste my money. my silver dollars r constantly hiding. and my angelfish is perfectly alone and swims alot. if in a few weeks from now everything turns on me i will take them back cause i want that tank to be full of livebearers cause thats what im into right now. im not planning on getting any other fish for that tank for a while unless some die. my lfs is horrible with fish. they dont even know how to tell the difference between male and female swordtails(male with the sword female doesnt have a sword..:p) so they did give me the wrong info. and right now i cant do nothing.

Angel079 01-24-2010 09:05 PM

You best choice then is to exchange the Silver Dollars for Swordtails.

biokid101 01-24-2010 09:10 PM

illl try to ask but my lfs doesnt sell silver dollars ill have to drive 2 hrs to get them exchanged(well not me driving lol only 14) and im not gonna get driven just for that. but ill see with my lfs