Tropical Fish Keeping banner

Advice on buying my first aquarium

5K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  Angel079 
#1 ·
I'm very much a novice with this hobby... right now all I have is a tiny starter aquarium that I got for my 3 year old daughter, who isn't very interested in it. But I want to get a decent size aquarium for myself, and in searching the web I came across this...

Top Fin® 29 Gallon Aquarium Hood Combo - Large Aquariums - Aquariums - PetSmart

and this...

Aqua Clear Power Filters by Hagen - Filtration & Circulation - Fish - PetSmart

Now, even with being as much of a novice as I am, I don't plan on buying the actual fish from petsmart... there's a nice lfs that actually takes good care of their fish they sell not too far from where I live, but the aquariums they sell seem way overpriced. The price of this aquarium and filter fit my budget nicely. Just wondering if the Top Fin "made exclusively for Petsmart" aquarium was anywhere close to a halfway decent aquarium. Or if anyone had other suggestions on how to go about purchasing a decent tank that won't break the bank.

#2 ·
If you're asking whether it is a "good" or "bad" aquarium, I cannot really say. If the glass doesn't crack, and the seals don't start to leak I would say its a good one hah. The hood is just that, a hood. What type of bulb does it come with? Doesnt seem to specify the watts. It's better to have at least 1 watt/gallon if you ever plan on keeping live plants. As for the filter, I have no experience with that one but the majority here recommends Eheim filters.... But as long as it creates water movement and traps the physical debris, it should be fine (which I'm sure it does). See if you can find some reviews on those products, see what people that actually have it or tried it have to say. Also, if you go to buy it, you'd rather ask here first what else you will need, the employees will usually try to sell you half the shelf claiming you NEED that stuff.

#3 ·
I use the AquaClear 110 on my 55 gallon and I love it if you're choosing a HOB filter. There is really no expense with it. If you get it, you just rinse the sponge filter in the drained aquarium water during water changes. Same thing with the biomax. There is no need for the carbon insert unless you're removing meds. Overall, I'm very happy with the filter.

#4 ·
As for the tank and hood, I can't say if this brand is or isn't well made, but it seems a nice unit. The light is fine, although if you do want plants the tube that comes with it may or may not be adequate, but the tube can always be replaced.

With respect to filters, the choice of filter should always depend upon the fish and aquascape you would like in the aquarium. Some fish require more filtration, some require more water movement, while other fish will not be healthy with that much water movement. And plants do not appreciate water flow that is anything but minimal. The Hagen filter you link creates a fair bit of water movement, and I would personally not use this filter on a planted tank, nor one with quiet-water fish (tetras, gouramis, rasbora...) which all come from quieter jungle ponds, streams and flooded forest habitats. For these fish, and in a planted tank, a simple sponge filter unit would be adequate on a 20g. I have one on my 33g and it is more than sufficient.

Hope this helps some.

Byron.

#6 ·
As for the tank and hood, I can't say if this brand is or isn't well made, but it seems a nice unit. The light is fine, although if you do want plants the tube that comes with it may or may not be adequate, but the tube can always be replaced.
I don't plan on getting live plants anytime soon. If I ever do, I'll be sure to change to an adequate light.

If you're talking Budget....had you considered buying a used one? That would allow you to buy a larger tank for the same price if not cheaper !? Just a thought...
Personally I don't like the sound of the hang on back filtration and use internal filters in smaller tank, such as this one Cascade Internal Filters, Internal Filters | Pet Solutions
Has no sounds and works wonderful for me.
I've thought about looking for a used tank... I'm just a little skittish about buying something like this used, because I've been burned on buying defective used electronics from private sellers/yard sales. As far as getting a larger tank... the tank I posted the link to is about as big of a tank as I have room for right now. I will, eventually... like in a few years, have room in my finished basement for a 125g aquarium. But again, thats way down the road.

How exactly does a internal filter work? The only aquarium I've ever had (a 10g starter kit like 15 or more years ago) had a HOB filter... so thats all I've ever used, other than the undergravel filter in my daughters 3g tank.

Anyway... thanks everyone for the replies/advice.

#5 ·
If you're talking Budget....had you considered buying a used one? That would allow you to buy a larger tank for the same price if not cheaper !? Just a thought...
Personally I don't like the sound of the hang on back filtration and use internal filters in smaller tank, such as this one Cascade Internal Filters, Internal Filters | Pet Solutions
Has no sounds and works wonderful for me.

#7 ·
Its an option, but if you don't feel comfi don't do it. I bought a bunch used just after the move and was very happy that way, I check the glass and all seals when I buy it, fill them up 1x outside the house and all been well since :)

They work much like a canister filter (which is not needed for your tank size) you have various different filter media from harsh to fine in the "bucket" and a filter "top" which closes it off. So its a fully enclosed lil system within the tank. I simply/ honestly love them cause they produce no sounds.
I once had a HOB on a 10g in my office - one time & one time only LOL now all small tanks have sponge filters and the mediums have internal filters and the big one's canisters :) As far as doing their job, HOB sure does, thou I didn't like how it washed away the sand under the outlet and the noise was just my killer really....but some folks like the waterfall sound in the house...

If you click on my aquariums on the left here under my 45g tank the 3rd picture you see the filter 'hiding' behind some driftwood. I can take you a better up close shot tonight if that's of any help?

#8 ·
I looked up more info on the internal filter and understand how it works better now. I'll probably just go with a HOB filter for now... it's what I used to (although my knowledge is still very limited), and I actually enjoy the waterfall sound they make. The tank will be in my bedroom, and I think it will be peaceful to listen to as I fall asleep.

But thanks for all your info, in this thread and others. I've been reading this forum all day, and there has been alot of info/advice you've posted in other threads that have really helped me learn more about the hobby I'm about to take on.

#9 ·
You're very welcome. And yes there's a ton of info to be found on here and plenty of folks to help / learn from...any questions, just ask any time :)

#10 ·
Oh, I'm sure I'll have pleanty of questions once I actually get the tank up and running, lol.

#12 ·
I still have a little while until I get the tank... I'm planning on using giftcards I get for my birthday, and my birthday isn't until January 29th... but I plan on staying active on this board and keeping everyone updated with everything. And I will definitely take alot of pictures.

#13 ·
Not to hijack this good thread here, but what size tank would you go from internal to a HOB type of filter Angel? I am a total noob and in the midst of doing research for my first tank which is going to be 55-75G ...ish :) Thanks

#14 ·
I know you asked the question of Angel, but I'm sure she won't mind me chiming in. Personally I would never use a HOB filter. I did use them, back in the 1980's on all my tanks from 25g up to 55g. My "cons" with them were (1) it was not easy to direct the flow unless they had spigots (I think that's the term) rather than just a "waterfall", (2) they gave out much too great a water movement, and (3) if the power went out, they burnt out when it came back on because they would not self-start.

In the 1990's when I moved up to larger tanks, first a 90g and then a 115g, I followed the suggestions of others and got canister filters. I would not choose anything else. On smaller tanks, say up to 50g I would use a simple sponge filter.

My reason for using canisters and sponge is the same, you can control the water flow direction and the flow is, or can be set to, minimal. I have planted aquaria and this is very significant, as I've explained elsewhere.

The usually hard and fast current produced by HOB filters is not conducive to many fish, and certainly not to plants. Of course, some fish would be fine with this. The filter chosen for any aquarium should always be one that provides what the fish in the aquarium need. Forest fish and swamp/pond fish require very little water current; fish from fast rivers like some of the plecos require a stronger water movement to be comfortable.

Byron.

#15 ·
Thank you very much Byron. I have read about the canister filters as well. I got the HOB and canisters confused a little...well totally actually heheh. I will be looking for a good canister filter for my first tank. I appreicate the input and advice.

#19 ·
Excellant info. Thanks to you both. In my noobish research I have been reading all the long posts I can on these forums :) Sorry for hijacking your thread coffeeman.

#20 ·
The AquaClear filter is what I have as it came with my starter kit. I have no issues with it either and also enjoy the waterfall sound of it and the ease of use. One minus: they are made cheap and can crack easily. Mine hasn't yet but I tend to be very careful with it. Although I've had to dismantle the auger and clean it with a toothbrush twice already to get it to start again... I think the unit is starting to break down and that's only after 3 months of use... I think a new filter may be on my wish list in the nest few weeks...

#22 ·
You can, but not the one I posted, you'd then need something like this one Hydro-Sponge III, Sponge Filters | Pet Solutions

It really always depends what you wanna have in the tank in the end. Like the 25g CPO tank I had, obviously I didn't want the lil Cray baby's sucked up by any internal filter and the whole sock over it just ain't my world, so I added a large sponge into it, the system I used is called HMF (Hamburger Mattenfilter) just punch it into googel and see.
If I had just normal fish in it like Tetra's or Killi etc...I'd honestly pers not bother and get a small internal filter.

Like I said, really only depends on 2 things: Personal preference & what you wanna do with the tank really :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.