Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Stocking Idea (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-idea-34335/)

soccermatt 12-28-2009 12:36 PM

Stocking Idea

Hi,
I have a 12.5 gallon long tank, with AquaClear 20 filter, and its fairly heavily planted. I am almost done fish less cycling the tank, and when it is done here is what i would like to do.

6 Tiger Barbs (would add 3 first, then 3 later)
7 Neon Tetra's (once all is stable)

I would like to hear your opinions on how this would work.

Thanks

Twistersmom 12-28-2009 12:57 PM

I would pass on the tiger barbs. A 12.5 gal tank would be too small for the barb's active life style. I can also see the barbs picking on the tetras in a tank of that size.

Kelso 12-29-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 295552)
I would pass on the tiger barbs. A 12.5 gal tank would be too small for the barb's active life style. I can also see the barbs picking on the tetras in a tank of that size.

+1

jaysee 12-29-2009 01:14 AM

Definitely pass on the tiger barbs. IMO they require a 29, though some keep them in 20's.

I'd do a betta and some neons or maybe cherry barbs. Betta and cherry barbs aren;t a combo I've done, but I think it'll work.

Angel079 12-29-2009 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twistersmom (Post 295552)

+1

I like the idea of a group Neon's & Betta thou!!!

LisaC144 12-29-2009 11:48 AM

Instead of neons, how about Cardinal tetras? Everyone knows I'm a cardinal lover! ;-D

Fishin Pole 12-29-2009 04:39 PM

I think you should hold off on adding either the neons or cardinals for a few months till your tank establishes itself and becomes stable........Tetras like a stable enviroment, and it takes ANY new tank a few months.........Members here have added tetras to newer tanks and then wonder why they have issues keeping them alive.......Most tetras species are rather fragile when it comes to water parameters........Bettas and tetras together could work, but its something i wouldnt try, but thats just me........Tiger barbs just wont work in a tank that size, sorry.......too active and too much of fin nippers.........A good substitute for a hardy fish, that would get along with your tetras could be some of the smaller species of danios...........

Do you know what your water's Ph is?...............That could also be a determining factor for your stock list

You can check out my aquarium log and go to my tetra tank..........give you a good idea of what a tetra tank should consist of..........Byron is another member who has some real nice tetra tanks.........Good Luck on whatever you decide on........