Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Best way to maintain a quaratine/hospital tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/best-way-maintain-quaratine-hospital-tank-34326/)

Mean Harri 12-27-2009 11:34 PM

Best way to maintain a quaratine/hospital tank

Hey guys. I may as well set up a 10g tank for a quarantine tank but I'm not sure how to. You buy new fish, put them in said tank for awhile, etc... But wouldn't you have to keep something in it to keep the bacteria alive? And if you do keep some fish in it and you use it as a hospital tank, won't the normal and healthy inhabitants get sick from moving sick fish to it to separate them from your main tank?

I needz ya'll advise on a q tank.

Mecal 12-28-2009 12:12 AM

Great question Harri, great question...

I would like to know the answer myself :)

Cody 12-28-2009 12:17 AM

1) You keep the quarantine tank on, running, and filled 24/7.

2) You run an HOB filter on your main tank whenever your Q tank is down. When you get new or sick fish, just take that HOB off the main tank and put it on the Q tank.

Number 1 is the smarter way imo.

bearwithfish 12-28-2009 08:33 AM

yeah we keep our running all the time and the bio lives in the filter.. we keep it empty and after we are sure new arrivals are good to go (about 2 weeks) we move them to the main tank(s)... if used for the hospital tank we first move the filter media to a running tank and then move the fish and add the meds if needed after we clean it all really good with hot water and vinegar then add the media back to the filter so we keep all the BB. :)

Angel079 12-28-2009 09:34 AM

It'd pers set up a QT as simple as possible, no plants no yaddy ya for the simple fact of cleaning when infected.
Then get it cycled just like any other tank and even after using it for QT keep it running and pers I keep feeding it a flake a day to keep feeding bacteria.
In the past I'd have said 2 weeks QT too....nowadays after what I learned the hard way I'd say min 3 better 4 weeks.
When QT a sick fish from your main tank - I urge anyone to do this based of the sickness. Fin rot for example, yea move them, but if you're dealing with ick on the other hand to take a fish that's visibly sick out for treatment is pointless as the "ick eggs" at that point are already all over your tank, soon to attack the other fish, so in that case a QT of 1-2 fish would be silly and the main tank needs treatment.

So make decisions based of what sickness you have :-)

Evan 12-28-2009 12:44 PM

what I do is keep cycled sponge filters in different tanks to keep them going and if and when something happens I just pull one out of the tank and put it in a 10-20gallon tank depending on how many fish and start the qt, after the qt I break the tank down and bleach everything. and set it aside to dry for the next time. if you keep the tank going 24/7 you really never know what is hiding in there from the last qt and may come back to bite you in the butt. you should always do a qt on any incoming fish it will save you tons in the long run. no matter if the tank you got them from looked amazing.

bearwithfish 12-28-2009 12:51 PM

BLEACH!?!?!??!?!?!! i was always told vinegar not bleach as it may 1) break down your sealsa and 2) get into the seals and leach into the water when in use....