Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   New to Fishkeeping! Advice Needed too! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/introduce-yourself/new-fishkeeping-advice-needed-too-34325/)

Cyanide 12-28-2009 12:09 AM

New to Fishkeeping! Advice Needed too!

Hello everyone! I'm Cy, and my makeshift sisters and I are entirely new to (proper) fishkeeping. I have an Aquavista AV100 tank (9 liters/~2.4 gallons) that I set up about three days ago, with two GloFish in. I read up on the nitrogen cycle, and I advised my dad to not purchase fish until later for the tanks (to get the healthy bacteria ready), but he said they'd be fine. So, I think they're doing alright. I dechlorinated (sp?) the water, rinsed the gravel, and floated the fish for ten minutes before releasing them. I've purchased a heater (since my room is around sixty degrees Fahrenheit all the time), and they seem to like it. I'm careful of how much I feed them, and I tested the water levels for ammonia, ammonium, nitrite, nitrate, KH, GH, and pH. Everything seemed to be fine, except the water was around 8.0 pH - that's basic, and don't zebra danios/GloFish need slightly acidic water? If they're alright in the morning, I'll run out and get something - anyone suggest a specific brand? Also, my temperature is around 75 degrees Fahrenheit - is that okay for the fish? Am I overcrowding them? Thank you for producing such a wonderful forum! I think I will find this community very helpful in my newfound hobby. I find fish to be relaxing, colorful, and often quite hilarious (those kissing/fighting fish make me laugh at the petstore). Again, thank you for your time! I will post pictures tomorrow. :-P

dramaqueen 12-28-2009 12:16 AM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Cyanide 12-28-2009 12:19 AM

Oh, thank you! :D Love your betta in the picture!

dramaqueen 12-28-2009 12:25 AM

Thanks! :)

Mean Harri 12-28-2009 12:29 AM

Sounds like you're off to a good start. Keep testing for ammonia. It may take a couple weeks to completely cycle. Water changes are your friend. 78 degrees is a good temp. Your ph, while high considering tropical fish in the wild, it's not bad. Most fish are captive bred and have been acclimated to higher ph levels. You don't want to start adding a bunch of chemical that will give you ph swings. Just let it ride. As long as you don't keep adding fish and let it cycle with what you have you should be ok. Just treat tap water with an ammonia/ammonium detoxifying product and have fun.

Good luck and welcome

Cyanide 12-28-2009 12:42 PM

Oh shoot...I found Red at the bottom of the tank this morning. I confirmed she was dead to my best knowledge, and flushed her. :'( Yellow is still quite active, swimming all around and eating his morning flake...I thought it was too hot - the temperature was nearly 80 degrees (F), and I had found Red in the corner where I had placed the heating strip under the gravel. Maybe she died of heat stroke? I tested for everything last night, since my parents came home with test strips, and I have 0 ammonia/ammonium ions in my water. I'll test again. My sister has some large goldfish - the strip said 3.0 which is a dangerous level of ammonia/ammonium ions. Her water is also cloudy. Should I buy something for her? Thanks, Mean Harri! (I was about to wonder about your picture....)

Mean Harri 12-28-2009 10:11 PM

For you and your sister when you're showing high ammonia regular (daily if needed) partial water changes are critical. Just use a tap water conditioner that detoxifies chlorine to the new water being added.

HollyinWA 12-29-2009 03:59 PM

Hi, I hope things are going better for your tank. I have read that Goldfish do not like temps above 75 degrees. Not that they will die for sure if it goes over but it could add additional stress in new conditions with temp fluctuations, especially in temps they do not do as well in.

Keep us posted. I cycling a tank right now, and I am crossing my fingers. This is my least favorite part.

Cyanide 12-30-2009 12:09 PM

Okay...she's keeping her goldfish under that (good), and I think my other sisters' guppies are happy. I'm heating up Yellow's tank this morning because it went waaay too cold last night. He seems to be fine - I caught him biting off a piece of flake before he darted away. ^-^ Thanks, HollyinWA...I suppose I'm still cycling a tank too. I'll keep both our fingers crossed.

willow 12-30-2009 03:18 PM

hello and welcome to you and your family.
hope you enjoy it as much as i do,there are many lovley people here.