Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   stocking list (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/stocking-list-34319/)

NVmySSmaro 12-27-2009 08:58 PM

stocking list

http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...20200909300009

Hope link works. AqAdvisor doesn't have a problem with it. Just FYI, tank is filtered with an AquaTech 30-60, an Aquatech 20-40, and a Lustar Hydro Sponge Filter III. Play sand for subrate, LIGHTLY planted, lots of fake plants, decos, and a piece of drift wood.

So what do you think?

jaysee 12-28-2009 09:26 AM

I wouldn't put 3 angels in a 40. Also, a school of 10 zebra danios will be VERY aggressive at feeding time and will make it hard to feed less enthusiastic eaters. Not saying it won't work - just expressing the concerns I have with your proposed list.

Angel079 12-28-2009 11:20 AM

I'd not house any single Angel in less then a 55g, much less 3. Growing to 10" unless you're planning on upgrading your tank soon, I'd not recommand these fish for a 40g.
For the pleco, unless you have plenty algae to feed of off and or LOVE the fish, I'd not get it just because, its only adding to your bio load and there's no need for that. I'd pers rather get another fish or stock the other's higher and leave it off the list (eg get more Kuhli's then it).

NVmySSmaro 12-28-2009 12:54 PM

I'm not overly attached to the Pleco, it was just an idea. I realize it's a shorter tank, but the 40 long has the same foot print of a 55 gallon, is that extra height really necessary? I would like a nice center piece fish idea to replace the Angel then. I do plan on upgrading/adding another bigger tank, I'm actively looking for a deal on something 75g or bigger, I'd really like something 100+ gallons.

Thanks Jaysee, that's the kind of advice I'm looking for.

Keep up the help!

jaysee 12-29-2009 01:08 AM

You're welcome.

I would skip on the danios and get dwarf neon rainbows instead. They are active, playful schooling fish that primarily occupy the top part of the tank, much like danios. They are also better than danios as far as feeding goes, though not by a lot. The most important differences IMO are that they look so much nicer and are not maniacal in behavior. I would get 10 (3m/7f).

I'd also increase the kuhlis, say to 8. You'll see much more of them and they'll be more active in a larger group.

You could do the bn pleco, but don't think you HAVE to get a pleco to control algae.

As for amano shrimp - I'd get ghost shrimp instead. If you are okay spending $4 for a shrimp that might get eaten when it molts, then go ahead. I'd rather get 20 ghosts for $4.

Rather than the angel, you could do a pearl gourami.

Aside from that, I would do a school of 8 cherry or gold barbs to fill in the middle of the tank.

That would be a heavily stocked tank that would require excellent filtration as well as large weekly water changes. Haha, my 45 comes in at 165% stocked - 2 pearl gouramis, 2 GBRs, 8 dwarf neon rainbows, 7 gold barbs and 15 dwarf corys.

NVmySSmaro 12-29-2009 07:02 AM

The Neon Rainbow are neat looking, but I already have some Glofish in there, I'm waiting for the tank parameters to settle, but I'm already kinda leaning towards the Glofish, so I was thinking....

10- Glofish
8- Kuhli Loaches
5- Ghost Shrimp
3?- Pearl Gourami(s)

I'm not really liking the look of the cherry/gold barb, anything else you'd suggest as far as a center piece fish, or to add to the list, or to rearrange?

Angel079 12-29-2009 10:01 AM

Hmmm center piece to replace Angels...Had you considered blue ram's??

jaysee 12-29-2009 04:26 PM

You could do a m/f pair of pearl gouramis, but I wouldn't do 3. If you do choose to do 3, then make sure you have 1m/2f.

You could put 20 ghost shrimp in there are wouldn't ever see more than 5 at a time. I generally add 1 shrimp per gallon. Now, 40 shrimp might seem like a lot, but it really isn't. Of the origional 40, some will die immediately. Some will be eaten. Some will starve. The point is that you'll be left with less than you started with. Also, they have a very small bioload so no need to worry about that.

NVmySSmaro 12-30-2009 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 296103)
Hmmm center piece to replace Angels...Had you considered blue ram's??

They look nice, not sure what I like more, the Pearls or the Rams, the biggest thing I'm looking for with the center piece is it a vibrant/bright color and decent profile area to look at. The Glofish are good color, but there isn't much of a profile to look at, but I do like all the movement.

Ok, 2 Gouramis maybe and LOTS of ghost shrimp

10- Glofish
8- Kuhli Loaches
20- Ghost Shrimp
2- Pearl Gourami(s)

70% stocked

OR

10- Glofish
8- Kuhli Loaches
20- Ghost Shrimp
2- German Blue Rams

63% stocked

Angel079 12-30-2009 11:40 AM

That's your call...you need to know what you like better and what fits your water parameters better :-)