Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   New Fish Tank (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/new-fish-tank-34298/)

hoondiggi95 12-27-2009 01:38 PM

New Fish Tank

1 Attachment(s)
I just got a new 1.5 gallon aquarium and have 2 african frogs in it, a golden oto fish, two green tiger barbs, and a guppy. The tank is very clean and has a good filter and is planted. The problem is that the guppy is picking on my barbs. One of them just sits in the corner while the other swims around with the guppy trailing it. The guppy does not nip at them, but rubs up against them and harasses them constantly.
Here is a picture:Attachment 6982

Will this stop or should I just replace the guppy with another barb?

Cody 12-27-2009 02:02 PM

You need to get rid of all of the fish. Especially the Tiger Barbs.

Tigers need at least a 24" tank, and a 20 gallon. This is just abuse, and I doubt this tank is cycled because it is so small.

Just have the tank for the frogs. You are at your limit there.

Kelso 12-27-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cody (Post 295112)
You need to get rid of all of the fish. Especially the Tiger Barbs.

Tigers need at least a 24" tank, and a 20 gallon. This is just abuse, and I doubt this tank is cycled because it is so small.

Just have the tank for the frogs. You are at your limit there.

This. Return the fish. It's fine the way it is for the two frogs only.

hoondiggi95 12-27-2009 07:41 PM

Okay... It is the biggest fish tank I am allowed to have though...

hoondiggi95 12-27-2009 07:41 PM

This is just upsetting

hoondiggi95 12-27-2009 07:44 PM

I just feel like tearing the whole thing down now and getting a different hobby...

Kelso 12-27-2009 07:50 PM

I'm really sorry, but it's putting your fish in a lot of stress. Think of it as being forced to live with 5 people for the rest of your life in one room. Try a betta fish and one frog. Bettas are rewarding fish when taken care of properly and they are fine solo.

hoondiggi95 12-27-2009 11:23 PM

Okay, I will try my hardest but this is what I am stuck in: on Christmas I unwrapped two frogs in a tiny plastic box. They obviously needed a new cage. So I went to the pet store and bought the small aquarium I have now. The 1.5 gal is the only one that my mom would allow. So now I have three choices: the first and most likely choice is to get the same aquarium I have right now except in the three gallon version. The second choice is to set up the five gallon hex tank that I have stored in basement. The final and most unlikely choice I have is to set up the twenty gallon high i also have stored. But in order to do this I would have to give my beloved parakeet away. What should I do? Are any of the aquariums suitable for my fish? Thank you everyone!!!

stephanieleah 12-27-2009 11:35 PM

Usually the fish store will take fish back (may or may not refund it). I've gotten fish spontaneously and had to return them when they started dying due to unsuitable conditions in my tank. I think we've all done it before, so don't feel bad. But yes, even if it looks like there's enough room, the consequences of overstocking will happen worse over time. And the fish will be very stressed, may be more susceptible to disease as a result and this could ultimately effect the health of the frogs, too.

stephanieleah 12-27-2009 11:39 PM

p.s. i just noticed you have bamboo in there...there was a thread in the last month or so about adding bamboo to the tank...don't remember if it said it was good or bad or neutral but might not hurt to research that. and cute frog, by the way (from what i could see!)