Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   What is on my tetra? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/what-my-tetra-34295/)

UADOLL 12-27-2009 11:54 AM

What is on my tetra?

3 Attachment(s)
I was feeding my fish this morning, and noticed this thing on my tetra. It's black and it looks like something is white is coming out of it. It's acting normal. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
UADOLL

Hawkian 12-28-2009 07:32 AM

It almost looks like he hurt himself on something doesn't it? I'd keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't spread to the other fish but this looks like an injury more than a disease I would say...

bearwithfish 12-28-2009 08:12 AM

if it looks more like a tail coming out it may be anchor worm.. we had a major issue with it a few months ago.. the best advice i received was to gently net the fish and remove it with tweezers then treat the wound.... if it falls off on its own you may have to treat the tank but be careful because the meds to treat ar fairly dangerous if you do not follow the directions very carefully .. we used "Clout" its good stuff just very strong.. keep us posted

bettababy 12-28-2009 02:26 PM

That doesn't look like anchor worm. I have dealt with anchor worm many times over the yrs.

I have seen and dealt with cases similar to this one, I am just not remembering if it was parasitic or fungal. Without the ability to examine the fish in person it is near impossible for me to say.

Hang in there a bit longer, I have pulled out my research books and am searching for it now. In the mean time, if you have the ability to move the affected fish to quarantine I will strongly suggest doing so asap, but do not go out and start picking through meds just yet. If you treat with the wrong med you can make the situation worse and prolong the time in which to properly treat it.

Can you post water params for the tank? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH) Water chemistry can usually lend some answers. Also, the more information you can provide about the fish and the tank the faster we can come up with an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan. Size of tank, filtration, maintenance, tank mates (what species and how many of each), live plants, etc. Every little thing plays a part.

bearwithfish 12-28-2009 02:49 PM

Betta you are the best !! :)...... just tossin ideas out as i can not really see the affected area as well as i wold f in person.....

bettababy 12-28-2009 02:55 PM

Is there any way to get a closer up picture (clear pic) of the infected area? Another straight on photo only closer would help, but also something from a side view so I can see how much protrusion we are looking at and what exactly is protruding.

I also will need to know if the white center appears fuzzy, slimey, hard like cottage cheese, etc.

Internet makes this very difficult, but I promise I am doing my best to help as quickly as possible.

UADOLL 05-13-2010 11:30 PM

Sorry, I never got back to y'all. The thing on the side of the fish fell off the next day. But these black spots started appearing. I put the tetra in my hospital tank and got parasite meds (petsmart fish dept. manager told me what to buy) it died within 3 days after I put the meds in the tank. :(..... Does anyone know what the black spots were from?
Thanks,
Kim

bettababy 05-13-2010 11:46 PM

Those black spots could have been any number of things, based on the info & pics that were here in the thread, its impossible to say. Can I ask what medication you used and did you test the water before adding the meds? Personally, I am not convinced it was parasitic. I never found anything in my reference books here at home that even came close to resembling that, so I am at a loss. Without a body to do a necropsy, there is no way now we'll know for sure.
Sorry for your loss, but keep an eye on your other fish. IF it was parasitic then it would spread to the other fish. If it was bacterial and fungal based, which is what I am pretty sure it was... then its possible none of the other fish will have contracted it. If this develops in any other fish please post right away because I will talk you through a proper med to treat for bacterial/fungal issues and other things to watch for. Please be forewarned, not all fish can handle all meds, so be careful what medications you are using with what species of fish. I'd hate to see you wipe out your fish just because they couldn't handle a med.

Good luck to you.