Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   everybody should read this guy who invented overstock system tools (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/everybody-should-read-guy-who-invented-34279/)

southamericancichlidguy23 12-26-2009 11:18 PM

everybody should read this guy who invented overstock system tools

I am the one who coded this tool and is still being updated frequently.

18% overstocking isn't that serious. As long as you are aware of this and you are keeping up with your water changes (which you appear to be doing), you are going to be fine. I had two tanks with 130%+ stocking according to http://aqasvisor.com and I kept them safe and spawning for years. Of course I also had to do larger (or more frequent) water changes than other tanks. many mbuna tanks are by design, overstocked.

One of the point of writing this tool was to get people to get some sense in the bioload they have in their tanks. As someone else mentioned, what this tool suggest is a guideline and you learn and act accordingly. The most stupid thing to do is to say "Oh this tool says I am 150% stocked, that's BS. I've been doing 20% water change per week and they are doing fine."

I wouldn't worry about your current bioload. :)

mrdemin 12-26-2009 11:26 PM

The topic title doesnt give a good first impression, I had to read the whole post to know what you were talking about lol.
I found it to be a useful tool, its a quick way to see how severe adding something might be... Although after I added a few extra platys it scared me for a bit and I came scrambling asking for advice on here :)
Otherwise, keep it up, its very easy to use and can help a lot of people just getting into this stuff. Just make a little disclaimer somewhere (not sure if there is already one).

southamericancichlidguy23 12-27-2009 12:03 AM

lol im over stocked thot id just add it on there to show its not big deal if you are just got keep ur tank clear and health dont bash people who overstock we just like alot fish and they are still small at the time and we dont feel the need to upgrade yet and we knw when are little fish are hurting for room and when they are just happy splashing around thats all im trying to state by posting this

mrdemin 12-27-2009 12:14 AM

Well after I did manage to figure out your post, I have to say this; Small or not, they get affected from the earlier ages. Imagine growing up in a 4x4' room until the age of 18. Just a rough comparison. Not to mention the level of stress they have to endure as well probably. I wouldn't want 10 more people living in my 2 bedroom apt.

southamericancichlidguy23 12-27-2009 12:22 AM

lol 7 isnt bad kinda fun

Kelso 12-27-2009 01:19 AM

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/f...ine-how-28712/

...>.>

southamericancichlidguy23 12-27-2009 01:21 AM

but i knw im over stocked lol

southamericancichlidguy23 12-27-2009 01:22 AM

yea its helpful but im just saying the person who invented the thing i just said also stated that overstocked isnt bad if u can keep it clean

1077 12-27-2009 02:14 AM

Is all well and good if trying to convince yourself is your aim. For myself,and those possibly new to the hobby,overstocking creates far more trouble than moderately stocking a tank.As you have stated,overstocking means more frequent water changes and some have trouble with once weekly changes never mind the possible two to three weekly water changes needed for some species of fish when kept in crowdeed conditions. Much more filtration both mechanical and biological must also be considered with crowded tanks to process the large amount of waste produced. Filter maint may need to be performed more often as well as water changes.
Fish that are in crowded conditions,are stressed more easily than those in uncrowded tanks and increased stress levels often lead to sick fish. Aggression levels as fish become sexually mature increase, and in crowded tanks,,often times fish can be seen with torn fins,scales missing,and or killed outright over territory and or the right to mate with females that may be present. This doesn't happen in only cichlid tanks but with other fishes as well.
I personally have found that a moderately or lightly stocked tank ,can be,and is for me,, much easier to care for and provides me with much more enjoyment , than tanks that are crowded.
Cichlid tanks that are crowded are often stocked with one sex or the other (usually females).

Pasfur 12-27-2009 07:11 AM

Wow. What a neat tool this is. I played with some combination's of fish for a 150 gallon tank and I am impressed. This is an amazing tool for a new fishkeeper to utilize.