Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   water test results--anything wrong? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/water-test-results-anything-wrong-34266/)

shane3fan 12-26-2009 07:29 PM

water test results--anything wrong?

Can I get a little 'expert' help with some test results?

These results are from my 29 gallon planted freshwater tank that houses Neon Tetras, Corydoras and a Rainbow Shark. Ive had several fish die in the past couple of months and Im not really sure why. I had 4 Peppered Corydoras--they are all dead now, I had 9 Neon Tetras-down to 2. The Julii Corydoras and Rainbow Shark have been super healthy so far ( KNOCK ON WOOD )

I dose using the EI method with Seachem products. I perform a 50% water change every Sunday using tap water treated with Prime ( 3 drops per gallon ) I feed 3 different types of flakes, sinking pellets, sinking wafers, freeze dried bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp--not all at the same time obviously--they get something different every night.

Test results from about 15 minutes ago. I flushed a dead Peppered Cory and euthanized a Neon Tetra that appeared to have NTD--based on the fact that he was losing his colors and had the typical white/grey patch along with being a "loner" for the past couple of days.

GH 4 drops
KH 1 drop? I dont remember what color it was supposed to be--but it went to a pale shade of the second color after only one drop. Ive never used this test before, may have misused it but I did it 3 times with the same results.

pH 6.5 using Tetra kit, 6.8 with API kit.

Phosphate 2.0 ppm
Nitrates 10
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0

Anything in those results jump out at you as bad? or unhealthy for fish/plants?

Byron 12-26-2009 07:46 PM

Main thing I see is that you are overdosing minerals. This is bound to have consequences, and quite possibly fish deaths are the result.

Why are you using the EI method in a low-tech system (I'm assuming low-tech because no mention is made of supplemental CO2)? And exactly which Flourish products are you using?

Fertilizers for plants contain iron, copper, zinc, manganese and (possibly) nickel. These are all necessary micro-nutrients for plant growth, but they are also heavy metals and all heavy metals are toxic to all organisms, plant and fish included. To be used by the plants, the nutrients must be in balance among themselves and also balance the available light. CO2 must also balance, it provides the carbon for the plants which is another nutrient. Seachem's Flourish Comprehensive Supplement for example contains the necessary nutrients in balance for the plant's requirements, but only at a once or twice weekly dose in limited quantity and provided light and CO2 is adequate.

I see nothing wrong with the results for hardness, pH, nitrates, and your weekly 50% pwc is excellent maintenance. Stop overdosing the fertilizers.

Byron.