Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Restocking Suggestions? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/restocking-suggestions-342546/)

Misomie 01-31-2014 06:44 PM

Restocking Suggestions?

I've decided for awhile that I've wanted to re-stock my 75 gallon so I haven't been replacing fish that've passed on (most of my fish are at least 2 years old going on 3). I haven't replaced anyone since last February and I haven't lost a fish since October (or September).

My current stock:
x5 Glowlight Danios
x2 Zebra Danios
x7 Rosy Barbs

I know for sure I want my next tank to have:
Glowlight Danios, Celestial Pearl Danios, and Emerald Dwarf Rasboras. I'm also toying with Pearl Danios and Zebras. However I'm more iffy on the Zebras because most I get tend to be ill-bred in my area (One of mine is around five years old now and still acts young while the other is two years old).

Anyways, what size schools should I go for? I know I want to at least wait until the barbs are gone before adding different types of danios and replanting (these guys are jerks to my plants and shred them for fun). I know I should focus on adding more Glowlights first (they're just hard to find and getting them is a pain but once I get a job they'll be my priority).

NeonFlux 02-01-2014 05:19 PM

:) I think small-medium size schools.. 12 of each fish would look cool. The more bigger the fish, like medium sized once adult, go for about 6. Rainbowfish would be a great addition as medium-sized school fish, I would say. A good 6 school of dwarf praecox neon rainbows that grow to about 2 inches or a little more would look great.

Misomie 02-07-2014 02:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeonFlux (Post 3839162)
:) I think small-medium size schools.. 12 of each fish would look cool. The more bigger the fish, like medium sized once adult, go for about 6. Rainbowfish would be a great addition as medium-sized school fish, I would say. A good 6 school of dwarf praecox neon rainbows that grow to about 2 inches or a little more would look great.

I actually saw these guys today in my LPS and I thought they were adorable. They might work out just fine with my danios. If I don't end up using them though, I'll probably use them in a 55 or 75 gallon tank I have planned for the future. :3

I also stumbled upon Firering Danios.... I want them too. I really like danios. XD

Misomie 02-08-2014 03:17 AM

Actually, I came up with a new plan. Since I want to create this tank asap, I figured I'll move my Rosy Barbs to my 40 gallon long (it's four feet long) and continue to maintain their school. I was thinking about rehoming them but I just love them too much to do so and I don't want to deal with their aggression when they are on their own. In the 40 I want the Rosy Barbs with a large group of Tiger Barbs (I love these guys) and a Rainbow Shark (Rosy school of 8, Tiger of 12, and one shark). I was going to use the 40 to house some other fish for awhile but decided I'll just rehome them.

In the 75 then, my new plan:
-Glowlight Danio school
-Mountain Minnow school
-Emerald Dawrf Rasbora school
-Danio Kyathit school
-Pearl Danio school
-Zebra Danio school
-Celestial Pearl school
-Ghost Shrimp

I was thinking 12 would be a good starting number for the Glowlight, Celestial Pearl, Mountain Minnow, and Emerald Dawrf Rasbora. Whereas schools of 8 would be good for the Kyathit, Pearl, and Zebra. And maybe 10-20 Shrimp and a large snail or two.

Ideas? I checked AqAdvisor and everything seemed fine. It said I was at 88% stock level (including 20 shrimp and two snails). However I'd like some more opinions first. If needed I don't have to get all the species, I thought it'd look cool and since I have a big tank....

relaxedcrazyman 02-13-2014 10:39 AM

that sounds awesome! i LOVE the celestial pearl danio. when i got mine, i didnt realize how small they were, so i am searching for tankmates as well.

maybe for a little extra red color, instead of the Pearl Danio, perhaps consider chili rasbora, they are very small as well, schooling fish, and are super red. that is what i am considering adding to my tank.