Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Final stocking 50g corner. (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/final-stocking-50g-corner-34237/)

Kengel 12-25-2009 07:01 PM

Final stocking 50g corner.

Hey, I'm going to finish stocking my 50g corner this week, currently there are 2 juvi angels, 2 platys (Both male I think, because they fight), and a bala shark, that I am probably going to give back.

I'm looking for suggestions based on the fish I was thinking of, however I'll definitely take into account suggestions containing other fish as I'd like to expand my horisons.

6 Corys---I really like these guys, and they're almost a definite for me, my only concern is I have a gravel substrate, and I have nowhere to put the fish if I was to change the substrate and cycle new water. I will however end up adding some finer gravel on top of mine.

4-5 Neryite snails---I'm pretty sure I'm going to get some of these guys so I can have variety in my tank, which hits 2 birds with one stone if I get algea eaters.

4 female plattys---I'd like tehse to get the 2 males to stop fighting, and so I can experience with breading however I'd probably let them eat their kids.

Ram Cichlids---These look cool, I don't know much about them, however I'd like fish that get semi-large.

Gouramis---I like the way these look and the fact that they get semi-large, I was thinking Honey Gouramis because they look cool, but I don't know a whole lot about this species.

Killifish/Peacock Gudgeons---I'd like these as a kind of stand-outish fish in the tank, although I understand Peacock Gudgeons are hard to come by.

Teammuir1 12-26-2009 05:56 AM

Pictures Pictures Pictures

WERE ARE THE PICTURES....
I see post after post talking about their tanks..
but hardly do we see Pictures....

can ya Please post some. I and the wife just
bought a 54 gallon Corner Tank for our Son and his Wife.
it would be nice to see how yours turned out.
THANKS
Ron

Kengel 12-26-2009 07:33 AM

Well, I was mainly asking for suggestions, didn't know people wanted pictures, so here goes.

Full tank:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nk/Fish003.jpg
Favorite Angel:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nk/Fish024.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nk/Fish005.jpg
Platy 1:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nk/Fish017.jpg
Platy 2:
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nk/Fish020.jpg
Bala Shark-wouldn't hold still
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nk/Fish026.jpg

What're you stocking your 54g corner with?

Hawkian 12-26-2009 08:10 AM

Very nice tank! Are those real or plastic plants? If they're real, I'd advise you to wait a few weeks (6-8) before buying snails because you may already have some in your tank without knowing it: snails tend to lay their eggs on live plants so chances are there are some snails on the live plants you buy. I learned that this past fall! :-)

As for the fish, I would add some more angels (like 3-4) to keep your other 2 company. The rams I would advise you to wait until you have your tank's water under wraps... they are very sensitive to water conditions, or better yet, to stay away from altogether since they may not be completely compatible with your angels.

Angel079 12-26-2009 11:59 AM

Uhm first of: Where's pictures....:-D

For the stocking list, my ideas...
Cory's are totally AWESOME (check my pictures here out) however I'd suggest no less then 8 (specially cause you also have the room) cause if you house 8-10 they're behavior changes to be less shy and then to watch them in the "gang" is just totally awesome.
If you have finer gravel (not the big pebbles) they will be doing ok. Mine lived in several tanks with fine gravel and never had a single issue (or else I'd have changed to sand for them).
Snails good idea for a lil "helper" in the tank.
With 4 platy's and assuming 2 boys you will have baby's fairly often BUT having the Angels in the tank, this will be kept in checked as "snack" foods so I have no concern there, few will hide & survive but you won't wind up overstocking the tank.
Love the ram's too, and I think in your current set up a nice loving couple would be neat.
The Gouramies I'd rather pers not add, they can easily become territorial and try mess with your Angels and I'd not wanna see a stressy tank.

No for the Killi's, m fav fish of all if you hadn't noticed that from my picture already. I love them, but yes some are indeed hard to find. IMO they're best kept in a extra 10g or 20g with maybe sme Cory, but to themselves with the set up they need (tennis stained water, leave litter etc). I do not find this a adequate fish for a community, You're much better up having them in a tank to themselves really. Also pretty sensitive to water parameters , so see what your water is first for them!

Had you thought about adding anything to the tank that will live on the upper level???
Alternatively to the platy you could also house a nice large school of white clouds...oh there's sooo many options :lol:

Angel079 12-26-2009 12:02 PM

Sorry I must have posted my picture question as you posted pic's :-(
From what I can see the gravel looks fairly small, so cory will be ok, but you either gotta add them more plants and/ or caves. Pers I'd go for much more plants :-)

Kengel 12-26-2009 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 294727)
Uhm first of: Where's pictures....:-D

For the stocking list, my ideas...
Cory's are totally AWESOME (check my pictures here out) however I'd suggest no less then 8 (specially cause you also have the room) cause if you house 8-10 they're behavior changes to be less shy and then to watch them in the "gang" is just totally awesome.
If you have finer gravel (not the big pebbles) they will be doing ok. Mine lived in several tanks with fine gravel and never had a single issue (or else I'd have changed to sand for them).
Snails good idea for a lil "helper" in the tank.
With 4 platy's and assuming 2 boys you will have baby's fairly often BUT having the Angels in the tank, this will be kept in checked as "snack" foods so I have no concern there, few will hide & survive but you won't wind up overstocking the tank.
Love the ram's too, and I think in your current set up a nice loving couple would be neat.
The Gouramies I'd rather pers not add, they can easily become territorial and try mess with your Angels and I'd not wanna see a stressy tank.

No for the Killi's, m fav fish of all if you hadn't noticed that from my picture already. I love them, but yes some are indeed hard to find. IMO they're best kept in a extra 10g or 20g with maybe sme Cory, but to themselves with the set up they need (tennis stained water, leave litter etc). I do not find this a adequate fish for a community, You're much better up having them in a tank to themselves really. Also pretty sensitive to water parameters , so see what your water is first for them!

Had you thought about adding anything to the tank that will live on the upper level???
Alternatively to the platy you could also house a nice large school of white clouds...oh there's sooo many options :lol:

I've thought about it but none of them really appeal to me, I'll look up white clouds though. I was planning on about 6 corys. I just called my lfs to see what they have, seeing as they're 1hr away, they have about 5 species all very small, which should be easier on the wallet in which case I could maybe get 8, however I may start with 6 and see how it works out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 294728)
Sorry I must have posted my picture question as you posted pic's :-(
From what I can see the gravel looks fairly small, so cory will be ok, but you either gotta add them more plants and/ or caves. Pers I'd go for much more plants :-)

The pictures are old. I have 1 cave in there now, I'll make another out of PVC, and another out of slate. More plants are to come I need more substrate right now though because whenever I use the gravel vac the plants float away. I'm experimenting with chia-pet seeds as a ground coverish kinda thing right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkian (Post 294679)
Very nice tank! Are those real or plastic plants? If they're real, I'd advise you to wait a few weeks (6-8) before buying snails because you may already have some in your tank without knowing it: snails tend to lay their eggs on live plants so chances are there are some snails on the live plants you buy. I learned that this past fall! :-)

As for the fish, I would add some more angels (like 3-4) to keep your other 2 company. The rams I would advise you to wait until you have your tank's water under wraps... they are very sensitive to water conditions, or better yet, to stay away from altogether since they may not be completely compatible with your angels.

Thanks! Those are real plants, I don't like the look of plastic. As for snails, I had one show up 2 weeks ago, the tank had been running for a month with no new additions then suddnely there was a snail, he's been growing quickly. I'm going to stray away from gouramis, and I'll see about rams, the fish store I go to is run by some lady out of her basement, she knows the personality of just about every fish in there, so I'll do it on an individual basis.

Thanks for all the feedback guys =)