Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/forum.php)
- Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
- - If you received a fish tank for XMas, read this! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/if-you-received-fish-tank-xmas-34220/)
If you received a fish tank for XMas, read this!
Every year at this time there are countless threads posted on internet forums by people looking for help with their small fish tanks that they receive as Christmas presents. This includes Goldfish Bowls and other all-in-one kits, that CLAIM to have everything you need to keep fish alive and well.
This post is your WARNING. These kits are almost never adequate for keeping fish alive. If you received one of these kits, here is what to be aware of. If your kit contains any of these items, then you may have a problem:
1) A small box full of filter floss or charcoal, that bubbles inside the aquarium.
2) A small corner triangle shaped box that suction sups inside the aquarium, with a filter insert and bubbles.
3) A small "power filter" that hangs on the tank, with a white or blue filter pad.
These 3 filter types are very common in these inexpensive Holiday special kits. They are horribly inadequate at keeping fish alive, UNLESS YOU TAKE ACTION. Following the directions will not allow you to be successful.
If you are in this situation, please start a thread with questions. Post pictures of your equipment and we can give you some very simple and INEXPENSIVE advice to make your fishkeeping a success.
Merry Christmas & Happy Fishkeeping!
Out of curiosity... what are the things you refer to in the 3 points above? Pleeeeeeaaaase!!!!!!!
All of these units make the mistake of providing ONLY chemical or mechanical filtration, with no biological filtration capacity. This causes ammonia to rise and fish to die.
I hope there won't be too many "Christmas fish emergency's" :roll: let's hope for the best this year should we!?
These tanks are not ALL bad. The kits are basic, but you can keep certain stock that can live in these kits.
good thread pasfur
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:44 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.