Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Is my bad luck returning? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/my-bad-luck-returning-34199/)

fishyinpa 12-24-2009 12:02 PM

Is my bad luck returning?

So I got 4 albino corys on Tuesday from a store down in the city. I just found one dead. I also lost a neon tetra in that tank a couple days ago. I really hope my bad luck isnt returning. And really hoping its not something that lives on in that tank,after I lost all my bettas that were in it. Since it was only Tuesday that I lost it,I guess I can take it back and get another? Except it wasnt very close,and we rarely go down that way. :-?

Dang it! One of the pandas I got yesterday is getting munched on already.

fishyinpa 12-24-2009 12:57 PM

Ergh..the panda is dead....stupid lfs says no livestock policy..even if it was less than 24 hours!! hes like bring in a sample and we see what we can do for you. I dont see how if my parameters were off whack that a fish would die in less than 24 hours of being put in. It was sick from the get go. It already had a nip out of its top fin. I didnt notice till I put it in,but I didnt think anything of it.

Well im going down there,with my dad. Hes good at complaining haha. Hope they will do something cause well if not thats just bull. I tested my water myself,its perfect. 0 across the board. So its not that at all. Its them selling me a sick/dying fish. 5 bucks a pop for a panda too!!

NC Frank 12-25-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyinpa (Post 294049)
Ergh..the panda is dead....stupid lfs says no livestock policy..even if it was less than 24 hours!! hes like bring in a sample and we see what we can do for you. I dont see how if my parameters were off whack that a fish would die in less than 24 hours of being put in. It was sick from the get go. It already had a nip out of its top fin. I didnt notice till I put it in,but I didnt think anything of it.

Well im going down there,with my dad. Hes good at complaining haha. Hope they will do something cause well if not thats just bull. I tested my water myself,its perfect. 0 across the board. So its not that at all. Its them selling me a sick/dying fish. 5 bucks a pop for a panda too!!

If your water parameters are off and are not in the range a fish is accustomed to it can certainly die rather quickly.

How do you acclimate your fish? Cory cats are sensitive when adding to a new tank (though they are hardy once they are acclimated correctly).

Good luck.

fishyinpa 12-25-2009 09:25 PM

Oh okay thanks NC Frank.

The guy at the lfs said my nitrates were very high so therefor he wouldnt replace my fish. I tested it at home here,same way. I do not get a high reading at all. He was saying it was off the charts and all the fish in the tank shouldve been dead. Well something not right,cause all the rest are alive and well. Unless I am missing something.

Can nitrate readings be different in the AM and PM? I think I will try it again in the morning just to test that theory....

dramaqueen 12-26-2009 12:17 AM

I'm so sorry about your fish!!

NC Frank 12-26-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyinpa (Post 294556)
Oh okay thanks NC Frank.

The guy at the lfs said my nitrates were very high so therefor he wouldnt replace my fish. I tested it at home here,same way. I do not get a high reading at all. He was saying it was off the charts and all the fish in the tank shouldve been dead. Well something not right,cause all the rest are alive and well. Unless I am missing something.

Can nitrate readings be different in the AM and PM? I think I will try it again in the morning just to test that theory....

Did he give you a specific number as to how high the Nitrates were? He could just be feeding you a load of garbage to avoid reimbursing you for a sick fish.

Romad 12-26-2009 08:16 AM

Something sounds fishy (forgive the pun) here with the Nitrates.

Is your water test kit still good? Do you use the API master kit? I didn't know until recently that the last four digits of the lot number on the individual bottles are the manufacture date. I've heard diff. opinions about how long the kits are good for - anywhere from 1 year to 3 depending on who you listen to.

Do you have any original decorations that you're still using in the tank? I suspect that one of those killed my betta Brutus. When I went to rinse off one of the caves after he died, the paint came peeling off. I'll never know for sure if that's what killed him because I never tested for lead or who knows what else other than the test kit. Since everything else looked like optimum conditions, that might just be what got him.

I really hope you figure out what the heck is going on with your fishy deaths - past & present.

fishyinpa 12-26-2009 09:00 AM

NC Frank-he told me it was 160 (the highest on the card)...but he said at that level all my fish should be dead....

Romad-the one says 0308 and the other 0608...

I have a log thing in with them, and I dont see anything peeling from it. Sorry about your betta.

Well I tested it last night,highest I got was a 10ppm. I am testing it now and its at 40ppm. I did feed them though last night. I just dont see how it wouldve shot up to 160 and then back down to 10 over 24 hours....maybe it could...but wouldnt my fish be dead if it changed that much in that short period of time?

NC Frank 12-26-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishyinpa (Post 294686)
NC Frank-he told me it was 160 (the highest on the card)...but he said at that level all my fish should be dead....

Romad-the one says 0308 and the other 0608...

I have a log thing in with them, and I dont see anything peeling from it. Sorry about your betta.

Well I tested it last night,highest I got was a 10ppm. I am testing it now and its at 40ppm. I did feed them though last night. I just dont see how it wouldve shot up to 160 and then back down to 10 over 24 hours....maybe it could...but wouldnt my fish be dead if it changed that much in that short period of time?

Considering nitrates normally get removed from water changes I question his reading if you are not seeing a reading anywhere near that mark. Your kits are fine for another year plus.

Romad 12-26-2009 09:30 AM

Your situation is certainly a mystery to us all. I hope your bad luck doesn't continue on.

Did you already break down the whole tank and start over?

I'm sorry about your fishies.