Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   Plant Fertilizer over usage? Harmful to fish? Byron? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/plant-fertilizer-over-usage-harmful-fish-34183/)

NC Frank 12-23-2009 10:33 PM

Plant Fertilizer over usage? Harmful to fish? Byron?

A friend of mine was watching my discus/angelfish tank while I was away for the last 2.5 weeks, I came home to find the mother of all algae problems and a dead platy and a dead bloodfin tetra. I found out that for the last 2.5 weeks he has been dosing Leaf Zone daily (I dose weekly) in addition to the daily dosage of Flourish (I normally use every other day but was OK with this being done daily).

I am currently prepping for a 40% water change using RO-DI water for tomorrow afternoon (unfortunately the temp. is still 8 degrees off despite using 2 heaters and a koralia power head).

I believe the trace elements in Leaf Zone to be potassium and iron.

I don't care about the over abundance of algae as I can take care of that... nor do I care about my plants which are doing horribly as I could save them as well. What I am worried about is the fish. Are the two losses coincidental or a cause of this over dosing for plant fert?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Tank specs:

55 gallon
PH 6.8
Ammonia, Nitrite 0
Nitrate <20
Rena XP2 and Aqueon 55 for filters. Not running activated carbon on the Rena.
Coralife 10k and 10k actinic lighting.

Mikaila31 12-23-2009 11:12 PM

I wouldn't be too worried. I know the EI dosing method is pretty fertilizer heavy and even then you can double dose the recommended if you need it.

Mecal 12-23-2009 11:14 PM

it could just be the general state of the water condition, and not so much the fertilizer that caused it.
That is to say, the fertilizer, algae, and perhaps excess food all contributed?

NC Frank 12-23-2009 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikaila31 (Post 293882)
I wouldn't be too worried. I know the EI dosing method is pretty fertilizer heavy and even then you can double dose the recommended if you need it.

This is seven times the recommended dose.

NC Frank 12-23-2009 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecal (Post 293883)
it could just be the general state of the water condition, and not so much the fertilizer that caused it.
That is to say, the fertilizer, algae, and perhaps excess food all contributed?

Water conditions were pristine before leaving and still test well. My guess is the abundance of plant food contributed to the algae. Prior to this I haven't lost a single fish in this tank other than a platy that died the night it was introduced 5 months ago.

I am going to do back to back partial water changes with RO-DI water over the next 2 days and will attack the algae tomorrow.

I would think he wouldn't over feed as he has some experience with tropicals.

mrdemin 12-23-2009 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC Frank (Post 293890)

I would think he wouldn't over feed as he has some experience with tropicals.

Thats why he gave a weekly dose of fert every day :lol:

(sorry felt like being an a..)

NC Frank 12-24-2009 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdemin (Post 293896)
Thats why he gave a weekly dose of fert every day :lol:

(sorry felt like being an a..)

LOL. I am pretty sure he didn't over feed but that did make me laugh.

Mecal 12-24-2009 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NC Frank (Post 293890)
Water conditions were pristine before leaving and still test well.

Oh, I meant that he had caused the general decline in the water condition by doing said things.

Anyway, good luck correcting it :-)

NC Frank 12-24-2009 07:54 AM

Any other input.

Angel079 12-26-2009 07:25 PM

I highly doubt the OD'ing on ferts killed your fish. Like previous posters suggested, less w/c then you normally do maybe more food etc or using the water conditioner incorrectly or not at all while you were gone, a mixture out of that did it to them. Unless of cause he used half bottel Excel on the fish each day, that I could kinda see becoming unhealthy but not the leave zone you're talking about. That can (in excess) harm Shrimp thou.
That also would explain your algae outbreak - What kinda are ya dealing with?