Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Ancient Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/)
-   -   Eleotris Picta (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/ancient-fish/eleotris-picta-3418/)

jmp108 02-18-2007 10:22 PM

Eleotris Picta

ok, I have posted this on a couple of other fish forums and have yet to get any responses of pple with any experience with these fish. my husband got one a week ago. we were at a pet store over an hour away form our home, so we didn't research it before we bought it. we like him and he is very interesting. we have him in a tank on his own right now. we are wondering if and what they can be put in a tank with. we tried him in our 90 gallon with our evil jaguar cichlid, and within 20 minutes of being put in there, he was chasing our jag all over the tank. i am not sure if he could hurt him, but he definitely scared him, and made us too scared to keep him in there. i would love if anyone has had any experience with this fish to give me some info. the only info i have been able to find is scientific, etc. no ones past experiences. http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...08/02_17_0.jpg

Lupin 02-19-2007 02:29 AM

Welcome.:wave:

Nice fish.:thumbsup: It seems only a few people own them or rather, the experiences weren't posted at all. This is the only information I found based on the experience by one person in one forum.:)

Quote:

It'll hit about 17" and is capable of eating fish up tp 2/3 its own size.
No other information has been dug out.:shake:

I am inclined to say to keep that fish all by itself instead of mixing it with other fish. A 40-55 gallons tank minimum would be the best housing you can give.:)

jmp108 02-19-2007 08:58 AM

thanks. we never realized when we bought him that it was going to be so hard to find out info about them. i mean we got him in a smaller town in pa. i wouldn't have thought that it would have been that unknown of a fish in the aquaria world. we like him though. he begs for food like crazy. he is very interesting to look at. we are keeping him in a 55 gallon by himself.

KenyanSandBoa 02-20-2007 01:31 PM

Nice fish indeed. I own one myself. I can give you the information I have gathered over the years:

Other common names I have heard are Spotted Sleeper, Water Cow and sometimes "Wolf Fish", but I've only known the saltwater type although they can handle brackish water as well.

They are native to Ecuador and can get up to 17" SL. They are an ambush predator, as I'm sure you've seen. Mine usually just sits in his cave and waits for food to swim to him.

I have my guy in a 125 with other South American Cichlids. They can eat pretty good sized fish so you have to be very careful what you put with them. I've had luck with creating a series of caves using driftwood and bogwood. This tends to keep him away from other tankmates in his own little world.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to get him to eat any prepared food on a regular basis. Every once and a while he will eat some shrimp or scallops that are left over from when I feed my saltwater tank.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your new purchase!!

jmp108 02-20-2007 08:34 PM

thanks for the info. yeah, he definitely likes to ambush his food, but we have gotten him to eat frozen cubes of bloodworms. i have to put my finger in the top of the water and move it around to get his attention, but he seems to like them. we tried that because he ate all the feeders and we hadn't been able to go to the lfs to get anymore. good idea with the caves, we have tried him in with our oscar and some smaller jaguar cichlids. we have also tried him with our large jaguar cichlid and two medium plecos. it is really werid. i have gotten some info that they can be very dominating. when we tried him in both those tanks he immediately starting nipping and bumping into the oscar and the jag(the two biggest fish). he never even messed with the plecos or the smaller jaguar cichlids. i guess they are not a threat to him. he is now all by himself for the time being until we can figure out who we will put him with. thanks very much for the info.

herefishy 02-21-2007 05:57 PM

I also have one. Mine is currently in solitary confinement. He ripped the fins on one of my large synodontis'. He is currently about 15" long and is an eating machine. He is fed about 24 good sized goldfish each week. He is in a 30g breeder tank, privided with strong current from power heads and a clay pot as a condo. Mama named him "Grumpy" because of the look on his face and his nasty disposition. lol

jmp108 02-21-2007 10:54 PM

ok, so we made a nice cave for him and tried him in our 90 gallon with our jaguar. this time he attacked the jag, and then the jag got really mad a went psycho on him. he told him who is boss. needless to say, he went back into the 55 gallon with the jag babies. i think he has eaten one of them, but we are not that concerned about them. we can't get rid of them. by the way, if anyone wants one, you can have one. we have 17 of them ranging from 2 inches or so to about 5 or 6 inches. only a few of the bigger ones. anyway, me and my husband have started to call him grr fish. because he looks so grumpy that you could imagine if he could talk that he is just growling at you! they are really interesting looking.

Lupin 02-21-2007 10:57 PM

You might want to try the Classifieds section if you're planning to sell or give away the Jags.:)