Tropical Fish Keeping banner

feeding advice

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  jmlampert23 
#1 ·
I am looking for some feeding advice for my cichlids. What do you suggest I feed them? Right now I have freeze dried blood worms (smell horrible haha), shrimp pellets, and some flake food. Obviously i do not feed them all of that but that is what i have at home right now. is this good or do you reccommend something different?

thanks
Jamie

#2 ·
depending on what type they are most african cichlids require spirilina which is like a sort of algae or plant matter which is what they mainly eat in the wild. i would definately reccomend some flake or pellet that is made up from that OSI sells something wwith it in flake form which i use and could be any happier with it.

#4 ·
what is OSI?

Bloodworms are most often the kicker (if thawed out properly before feeding).
The sperulina Mitch mentioned was the kicker for my Yellow's (org bought for my Cray's & Shrimp). which you can either get pretty pricey for a few at the LFS OR you just go to your next best health food store and get a big bottle there with these tablets, that's what I always did and will do again for my shrimp now.
My Yellows also liked to play tackle & snack n cucumbers. Just offer a few times over & over and see if they start liking it (mine where always skiddish on anything new)
i have the freeze dried AKA dead blood worms. are those good?

#3 ·
Bloodworms are most often the kicker (if thawed out properly before feeding).
The sperulina Mitch mentioned was the kicker for my Yellow's (org bought for my Cray's & Shrimp). which you can either get pretty pricey for a few at the LFS OR you just go to your next best health food store and get a big bottle there with these tablets, that's what I always did and will do again for my shrimp now.
My Yellows also liked to play tackle & snack n cucumbers. Just offer a few times over & over and see if they start liking it (mine where always skiddish on anything new)

#8 ·
If they are the fish in your sig the auratus is an African cichlid and requires mostly plant matter such as spirulina like Moneymitch suggested. The JD is a new world cichlid and is carnivorous. In the wild they feed on insects, worms, crustaceans and fish. You can feed the bloodworms as a treat but a good quality pellet should be the staple. From what I understand Africans are prone to bloat if they eat too much protein so watch for that. One of the reasons it is not recommended to mix Africans and New World cichlids is their difference in diet.

#10 ·
Totally! They not only feed on insects, but also smaller fish and shrimp.
Generally for him or any other fish: Offer a variety to keep 'em all colorful & healthy

#12 ·
If your looking for a good overall nutritonal staple food for cichlids, i suggest Hikari Cichlid BIO-Gold pellets......They come in various size pellets and probably have the best nutrional value of other foods out their specifically for cichlids........As Jeninel stated, your dealing with 2 different types of fish and different diets..........Keeping up with a vaired diet will be the best approach for keeping your fish healthy..........Alomst all my fish with eat bloodworms, adn most will also eat the shrimp pellets.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.