Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   Krib and Ram???? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/krib-ram-34123/)

dylan94 12-22-2009 01:38 PM

Krib and Ram????

Hi, I have a 29 gallon tank with:
-9 albino tiger barbs
-3 swordtails
-3 ottos
-13 kribensis cichlids ( a breeding pair + 1 adult female + 10 free swimming 1 inch babies)

I am going to bring 9 baby kribs to my LFS and keep one, so the breeding pair aren't so aggresive towards one krib. The tank is separated in the middle by a mound of rockks and fake plants. The krib pair only takes up the space on the left of the rocks, therefore only taking up 1/4 of the tank space. The other non-breeding kribs usually stay in the rocks and plants. Their are tons of caves and holes and tunnels through the rocks as well as 3 coconut caves. I want to have a pair of rams in my tank but I don't know if I can. If the krib pair was more aggresive, I wouldn't consider this at all, but they are very docile and they have bred in this tank without harming ANY of the other fish. I think the rams would be fine, but I've never kept them so I need other peoples opinions.
Any thoughts, ideas or info will help!!!
-Dylan

dylan94 12-22-2009 03:50 PM

pics

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic:
- The krib pair have their territory beside the coconut cave and the filter.
-The other kribs spend most of their time in the rocks and plants, the rams would probably be on the other side of the rock mound.
I attatched the pic.

Attachment 6864

dylan94 12-22-2009 03:51 PM

rrrgggg its soooo smallll :(

dylan94 12-23-2009 04:49 PM

anyone????? anything???? :S

aunt kymmie 12-23-2009 08:40 PM

I'm sorry, I really don't know anything about kribs. I do know that my rams can be quite territorial amongst themselves and each (I have three) have staked their claim to their individual real estate. I have a 100gl and they each insist on 1/3 of the tank. Maybe because they have the room to do this? I know I'd never put any kribs in my tank due to this. Hopefully someone else will come along who knows?!

NC Frank 12-23-2009 10:23 PM

I have had 3 types of rams with my kribs with no issues... but with a 29 gallon tank it might be too small for them to stake out territories.

dylan94 12-24-2009 09:32 AM

do you think I could try and if a problem arrises, I canreturn the rams to the store???? or should i just not bother with it?

Byron 12-26-2009 06:37 PM

I think the first issue to resolve concerns water parameters. You don't say which "ram" you're considering, and there is the common or blue ram and the Bolivian Ram, and their requirements are different. The Bolivian Ram is comparable to the Kribensis in that both will do well with respect to the water parameters provided extremes are avoided (very acidic or very basic/alkaline) and they share "normal" temperature needs. The common Ram is by contrast highly specific. It requires soft or very soft water that is slightly acidic if it is to be healthy long-term, and high temperatures with 82F being the minimum. Many "community" fish cannot tolerate this high a temperature long-term.

Byron.

dylan94 12-28-2009 03:06 PM

what about bolivian rams?? I also saw "baloon rams" at my LFS, would their water parameter requirements fit my tank.. BTW my tank is 7.0 so its completely neutral. Although the PH drops when i do water changes but after 2-3 days it neutralises again... i dont know why. Also i thought I would mention that, my "other female" is becoming more dominant and is bigger than the paired female... the male is seeming to have more interest in the "other female" and is losing interest in his female... They arent protecting their terriotory anymore and the male is being very docile, so nonne of the kribs are paired off now, I think now would be a good time to add rams if i was going to because I can move the caves around and put the rams in so there arent any territories already set, therefore the fish all have equal choices of real estate and social organisation. Do you think that would be a good i dea if there were any rams that could live in my tank???

Byron 12-28-2009 03:43 PM

The Bolivian Ram would be fine for your setup, with respect to water parameters. The balloon ram is related to the common ram, derived from it--don't want to get into all that. But it is similar in sensitivity respecting temperature and such.

The Bolivian Ram is described in this good article which just happens to have been written by a colleague of mine in Vancouver, Lee Newman, well respected in the world of cichlid fish hobbyists:
The Cichlid Room Companion - Keeping and Breeding the Bolivian Ram, Microgeophagus altispinosa (Haseman, 1911)

I won't repeat what's in there. But the Bolivian Ram is a fish that can be maintained as a single specimen and does very well in community tanks, or you can have a pair. Two males would be at each other, but if given enough space for their territories they are not too rough for a cichlid.

Turning to your pH comment, the tank is at pH below 7 immediately after the partial water change, and then rises during the week? What is the pH of your tap water on its own (no conditioner)? I'll comment further when you provide this number.

Byron.