Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Catfish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/)
-   -   could this be cory's eggs? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/catfish/could-corys-eggs-341210/)

carlos puron 01-29-2014 06:01 PM

could this be cory's eggs?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys I have 3 bronze corys in a 75 gallons tank i didn't know until a couple of weeks ago that I have 2 boys and one girl well last night I was watching my tank and I saw this on a plant's leaf Attachment 284154I've seen them before but on the glass I've also my bettas eating them since I'm trying to re cycle my tank bettas are out and no one is bothering them I don't know if those are from my corys or snail eggs I used to feed my clown loach with snails and clown is not in the tank too so what could they be and what to do with them

SeaHorse 01-29-2014 07:13 PM

Yes those are NOT snail eggs. Yes they could very likely be Cory eggs as they are randomly placed. What else is in the tank that could have laid them??

carlos puron 02-01-2014 08:06 PM

Sorry that i haven't answered I'm Not sure about tetras or rasboras for what I know they're all females now I need to know who ate them or where did they go if they're cory's eggs and if I find some more on a leaf or something can I put them in a breeder net inside of the tank until they open?I wish I have another set up to place them but not for now

SeaHorse 02-01-2014 09:26 PM

Let's hope there's more and YES you can put them in a breeder net... Try not to let them all rest on the bottom tho... the fish/culprit that ate the last ones will try to eat them net and all. If they are on a leaf, trim the leaf off too and add it to the net also.

carlos puron 02-01-2014 09:31 PM

I'll do it I hope to find some more I'll let you know if I do:)

Thoth 02-02-2014 01:04 PM

The eggs look like Cory eggs. Cory stick there eggs to objects in the tank, glass and plants in a pattern similar to your picture. Eggs can be white to tan in color and if viable the center will darken after a couple days and hatch in ~4 days.

Betta are bubble nest builders. Most (if not all) tetras/barbs are egg scatterers. Snail eggs that I have seen are a singular mass containing many eggs. You should be able to rule out all of these fishes.

It may be too late now but if you can observe the Cory vent (anus+ reproductive area), it is usually a reddish color for a day or so on a female Cory after laying eggs.

carlos puron 02-02-2014 01:11 PM

Thank so now it's official those were cory's eggs I saw the boys chasing the girl today again like the last time I found the eggs so I hope they live them on a plant or something that I can put in the breeder net so I'll have some baby cories:)

carlos puron 02-02-2014 01:13 PM

Question I asked the guy at the fish store to give me all males now I have two males an one female should I add one or two more females ? so the guys won't be chasing the girl all the time? Or should I just leave them like that?

Thoth 02-02-2014 01:27 PM

Breeders have preferences on male to female ratios. As a keeper, I would just go with a group of 5 or more and not worrying about the sexes. The males will not be chasing the female all the time; Only when she is ready to lay eggs. You could have multiple females which is giving you the impression that they are being chased all the time. I have a set of 5 sterbai cory with 3 females. 2 females unusually lay eggs at the same time and the 3rd lays about a week later. My females will lay about 5 months straight every ~28 days.

I wouldn't have faith that the fish store would be able to correctly sex them. Plus, you are more than likely dealing with young fish making it even more difficult to sex.

You can rub them off with you finger in to another container of cut the leaf and place it in a container (breeder net).

willow 02-02-2014 02:20 PM

how exciting :-D i managed to grow one to adulthood :-D
good luck.