Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Gold Fish Tips (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/gold-fish-tips-340530/)

Cassandra90 01-28-2014 03:05 PM

Gold Fish Tips

I recently posted in this thread about restarting my 55 gallon tank. I am going to start from scratch and do a new cycle in my tank and redecorating.

I would like to switch it to a gold fish aquarium. I never had any experience with gold fish. All my experience is with freshwater tropical fish.

The aquarium is a 55 gallon tank, 48 inches in length, 12 inches tall and I believe 18 inches wide. Can't remember exact dimensions. Has two marine land penguin bio-wheel 350 filters.

I am going to do a fishless cycle, first time doing this so tips on this would help too.

So... any advice on a first time gold fish owner?

How many could I possible put in the tank?
I was thinking 3 or 4 would be about my limit.

Do I need to have a heater?

Any thing else?

Thank you.

Reminder it will be awhile before I add fish into this tank.

Cassandra90 01-28-2014 03:13 PM

Even some decorating tips too?
I purchased two 22 inch tall plants, and three 4 inch plants to put into the tank. I figured this is sufficient, I heard they need a ton of space to swim.

Do they like to have places to hide or anything similar to that?

Flint 01-28-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassandra90 (Post 3814882)
I recently posted in this thread about restarting my 55 gallon tank. I am going to start from scratch and do a new cycle in my tank and redecorating.

I would like to switch it to a gold fish aquarium. I never had any experience with gold fish. All my experience is with freshwater tropical fish.

The aquarium is a 55 gallon tank, 48 inches in length, 12 inches tall and I believe 18 inches wide. Can't remember exact dimensions. Has two marine land penguin bio-wheel 350 filters.

I am going to do a fishless cycle, first time doing this so tips on this would help too.

So... any advice on a first time gold fish owner?

How many could I possible put in the tank?
I was thinking 3 or 4 would be about my limit.

Do I need to have a heater?

Any thing else?

Thank you.

Reminder it will be awhile before I add fish into this tank.

You CAN do up to 5 if you really stay on top of your parameters and keep it clean, otherwise stick to 3. If you want comets, you can only have one. You won't need a heater if you keep your house around 70. If you keep it warmer than 75, you need to look into a chiller. Make sure that when you are picking substrate, you pick an extremely fine gravel or use sand. Goldfish are notorious for getting gravel stuck in their mouth or eating it and becoming impacted. Most keepers prefer barebottom and just paint the outside of the bottom black or whatever color they desire. Invest in a quality gel/sinking pellet. Nutrition is key to keeping happy goldies. They won't really use any hiding places and I'm not sure if you bought live or fake plants but they eat most live plants.

Cassandra90 01-28-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flint (Post 3815738)
You CAN do up to 5 if you really stay on top of your parameters and keep it clean, otherwise stick to 3. If you want comets, you can only have one. You won't need a heater if you keep your house around 70. If you keep it warmer than 75, you need to look into a chiller. Make sure that when you are picking substrate, you pick an extremely fine gravel or use sand. Goldfish are notorious for getting gravel stuck in their mouth or eating it and becoming impacted. Most keepers prefer barebottom and just paint the outside of the bottom black or whatever color they desire. Invest in a quality gel/sinking pellet. Nutrition is key to keeping happy goldies. They won't really use any hiding places and I'm not sure if you bought live or fake plants but they eat most live plants.

I was thinking about just getting some fancy gold fish. My house is usually 68 during the winter and 75 during the summer. The gravel is on the smaller side. The plants are fake, I knew they ate live plants.

Thank you for this information by the way.

Flint 01-28-2014 07:22 PM

Really keep an eye on them and the gravel.

Cassandra90 01-28-2014 07:46 PM

Oh I will. Thanks for the heads up.

jaysee 01-28-2014 07:51 PM

Gold Fish Tips

Chillers for large tanks are super expensive - more expensive than the entirety of the setup. In addition to that they are loud and suck electricity. I don't know of anyone who keeps goldfish as has one - they can manage.

I think 3-4 fancy goldfish is good for your tank, but I would recommend upgrading one of the HOBs to a canister. You'll need it. Were it my tank I would upgrade both to canisters. Obviously not something you have to do right away since the fish will likely be on the smaller side.

I would not put a comet in any tank smaller than a pond - they are pond fish.

Sand is an excellent substrate for them. They LOVE sifting through it, and I would hate to take that away from them by doing a bare bottom.

Cassandra90 01-28-2014 07:56 PM

I never had a sand bottom tank.

How is that cleaned? Would I just hover over the sand with a gravel vacuum?

Cassandra90 01-28-2014 10:10 PM

So I was looking into sand for a substrate in the tank.... I seen a lot of people using black diamond blasting sand grade 20/40 which is pretty fine. Do you believe this would be safe enough for gold fish.

I seen online that people are using it even with their cory cats and have not had any issues.

It is a lot cheaper than going to a pet store. I think I seen it for like $9.00 for a 50lb. bag.

jaysee 01-28-2014 10:27 PM

Gold Fish Tips

That's about what the pool filter sand costs for a 50 lb bag.

Yes, that's exactly what you do with the vac.