Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   I have no idea about breeding :( (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/i-have-no-idea-about-breeding-3405/)

ClarkyJ 02-18-2007 12:54 PM

I have no idea about breeding :(

Hey I started fish keeping about 4 months ago I have worked My way through 3 tanks and now on a 3 and a half foot tank. I have 2 other tanks that I had previous to my one now. I have no Idea about fish breeding But would like to get into it. Can any one tell me what I basically need to get started. I.e what kind of fish ?, How do I know what sec they are? stuff like that thanks allot for your help.

fish_4_all 02-18-2007 01:47 PM

Well there are a lot of different fish you can breed.
Live Bearers:
Swords
Platties
Guppies
Mollies

Egg Layers:
Cories
BN pleco and other fancy pleco
Angels
German Blue Rams
Rams

Egg scatterers:
Tetras
Killifish

It all depends on which fish you decide to breed as to how you need to set up the tank. If you give us a better idea we can actually help you make a good setup for them.

Lupin 02-18-2007 07:36 PM

Chris, egg layers would be 'egg depositors'.:quiet:

I'll add some more fish species.
Egg scatterers:
Rainbowfish
Danios

Egg Depositors:
Cherry Barbs
Cichlids

Note that some cichlids are open brooders like the blue rams while some are secret cave brooders particularly the apistos.

musho3210 02-18-2007 08:04 PM

Livebearers are easy to breed, danios are easy too (but mine havent after 3 months, but the fry were probably eaten or starved since i dont feed fry food to a tank where i see no fry)

Livebearers: Platies, guppies, mollies, Swordtails, removal of parents is best or provide lots and lots of plants, dont use those breeders nets as that stresses out the fish

Canabalistic egglayers: Danios good choice, requires removal of parents fast as danios seem to like there fry

Protective egglayers: Convict chichlids are great begginers, but the adult convicts live up to there name, convicts. If you feel confident and your water is good you can try Ram chichlids like the bolivian and/or german blue

ClarkyJ 02-19-2007 10:22 AM

Thanks

Ok well. I have fan tails right now. All my fish are cold water. I basicly want to know which would be the easy fish to breed and the easy ones to get hold of. And you say abaout the rite setup. What would be the rite setup for those fish ?

Thanks

musho3210 02-19-2007 10:40 AM

Well the first thing about a succesful breeding is where to breed, you should get a separate tank for them, you can try breeding the fantails if you want, just give them a 30 gallon tank with double filtration, condition them, and see if they lay some eggs

ClarkyJ 02-20-2007 11:44 AM

Thanks

Thanks for that :). Ok this mite sound extremly stupid buy how do you tell male and female apart and Iv been told the shops only sell 1 sex so they dont breed so how Do I get the other. :). Im very sorry if that sounds very stupid But I Am I beginer

Lupin 02-20-2007 10:09 PM

Re: Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClarkyJ
Thanks for that :). Ok this mite sound extremly stupid buy how do you tell male and female apart and Iv been told the shops only sell 1 sex so they dont breed so how Do I get the other. :). Im very sorry if that sounds very stupid But I Am I beginer

The only stupid question is the one not asked.:wink2: As for distinguishing sexes, it depends to what species were you talking about.:) For livebearers, males have pointed fin near their anus which is a gonopodium. Females have triangular-shaped anal fin(also near the anus).

ClarkyJ 02-21-2007 03:03 PM

Thanks

Thanks for that Any idea on how to distinguish fan tails ?

And are both sex's sold in all fish stored And I just have to pick out he different sex's ?

Thanks for all your help so far really great :)

herefishy 02-21-2007 03:37 PM

My suggestion to the beginning and novice breeder is to start simple. Most live bearers are relatively easy to spawn. There are also many egg layers that are relatively easy also. The problem isn't necessarily getting your fish to spawn, it's raising the fry. Many fish will eat their proginy. Mollies, guppies, swordtails, and other live bearers are very easy to breed. As far as egglayers, I would recommend Egyptian mouthbrooders, convicts, mossambiques, and burtonis(notice, all are cichlids).