Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Fish Breeding (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/)
-   -   Flower Horn Fry (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/fish-breeding/flower-horn-fry-34033/)

Teammuir1 12-20-2009 01:29 PM

Flower Horn Fry

3 Attachment(s)
Much to my surprise my son calls me into my work shop Room were I keep several

fish tanks. HE asks me when did this happen? Im wondering what is he talking about,

he says come in here and look at this... WELL.. OMG... the Flower Horn has had

babies.... I was not aware..... so now there are like 70 or more fry all swimming around

I read up on articles on Flower Horns and most all stated to separate the Mother from the

fry. So I just did that about an hour ago..... She is doing well in the 180 gallon tank

and the fry have there tank all to there selves.... I have not ever had this many fry

before.. WOW.... I am overwelmed.. and excited all at the same time....

if anyone has some good tips... or experiences Please fill me in.....

Here is a pic of the Momma Flower Horn.

I have installed a home aid strainer on the end of the intake tube .

thinking that it will protect the babies from being sucked up in to the filter.

Here is a pic of the modification to the inlet tube.

mollies 12-20-2009 06:30 PM

How big are your fry. I found that a sponge on there just like you have the netting works realy good to. From what i can see it looks like the holes on the neting might be a little big and the fry could get through there. Add some floating plants fake or real. An the fry will love to hide in them. Congrats. hope you have a good turn out.

Teammuir1 12-21-2009 05:32 PM

The Fry are very small.. no question there I have tried to take pics of them
and not very good luck.... They are growing....though.... LOL.... this is only there
3rd day... once they get a little bigger I will keep everyone posted on there size..
These little guys are getting so brave.. swimming up to and threw the Current coming
out of the filter....
They are alot of fun to watch.

They really ATE up the frozen Brine Shrimp. I had taken the shrimp out of the freezer.
and allowed it to set and thaw a little..
once it was completely thawed I put it in the tank and THOSE GUYS.. ATE.. lol...
was to cool to watch....

Ron

Evan 12-21-2009 07:22 PM

what was she breed to? what kind of fish is the male?

Teammuir1 12-21-2009 08:45 PM

EVAN

She bread to one of her own brude the male is about 1yr and 2 mths he is another

Flower Horn. These fry should be VERY NICE....... cant wait to see then

get bigger.....

Evan 12-22-2009 08:06 AM

thats great!!! I have always heard the males where sterail. if the do hatch and become free swimming fry you will want to feed them baby brine shrimp for the first few weeks tell they will take crushed flake. I am no flower horn expert by any meens but I have seen a but do a few tricks that a freind of mine does when he breeds them to filter out the guys that will get nice big heads. I do beleive they will have all types of fry given the parents are hybrids so you will ahev to search good to find what you want. hope it all goes well. it nice to eggs for sure:-P

Evan 12-22-2009 08:08 AM

well I just read the whole post and now know you have free swimming fry. thats great. I would get a sponge filter my self or get a small sponge pre filter to put over the intake tube.

Teammuir1 12-22-2009 08:49 AM

I am personally afraid to make any kind of changes....
The fry are very small.. I even see some that must have
gotton wedged in between the rocks.... these
guys are going between the glass and the rocks and I have
noticed a couple that have died.. must have gotton stuck.
but there are so many fry in the tank I really would rather
just let it be and wait till they get bigger....
thats a great idea.. and I prolly will change the filtration
system... but those guys are just so small.. LOL.. today
will be the 4th day...

Does anyone have any ideas for different types of food for
these young fry?

Ron

Oldman47 12-22-2009 11:44 AM

For fry that small you should be using infusoria and move along to Walter worms or banana worms in a couple of days and then baby brine shrimp a few days later. Chances are that unless you are a neat-freak, there are some infusoria in the tank. That means they just need a bit of decaying food to suddenly become a huge population that the fry can feed on. One of the advantages of a sponge filter is that it usually has a fairly good infusoria population on the outer surface that new egg layer fry can use as a first food. If you see your fry picking at the sponge surface, that is exactly what they are doing.

Teammuir1 12-22-2009 11:49 AM

ghreed

With that being said I am so glad I did not try to clean the tank...
that makes since now.. I was watching the little guys picking at
the rocks.. looked like they were eating.. yes there is some food
waste in this tank so I am thinking GREAT... they wont starve ..

Thanks alot for the post.....I have learned some more.....

Ron