Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Why you should only set up tank in the summer (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/why-you-should-only-set-up-33994/)

Angel079 12-19-2009 11:07 AM

Why you should only set up tank in the summer

Dang! I have the best of intention to set up the 2nd 10g today, even have the plants already.... but boy its hurting try to wash sand outside when its in the 30's....:-? I think the next tank that'll be set up with sand will be set up in the summer time only!!!

Boy is my EVERYTHING cold right now...need some hot coffee here!

mrdemin 12-19-2009 11:38 AM

Yea, the temp is unusual for us here also, high of 30, feels like 20! AND to top it all off were expecting 6-12" of snow by tomorrow. Not to mention I didnt get a chance to switch off my summer tires on the car, and I have a 15 mile drive home from work.
PS, I rinsed my gravel in the bath tub, not sure that would work with sand though.

Angel079 12-19-2009 12:07 PM

Man, I want some decent snow here too! Granted I don't miss the CO blizzards too much but some snow would be NICE :-)

Yea normal gravel I washed in the tub too...but sand...I decided I didn't wanna take my chances clog up the tub, so I went outside....

Now I think I'm gonna do the 10g and the 1.5g (experimental tank) today and just hide out in my "fish-office" lol

rsn48 12-19-2009 05:02 PM

Here in Pacific North West, our weather in the winter can create a self wash. Just put the gravel in the bucket and leave it out for one of our many monsoon rains, and voila - instant self cleaning.

Angel079 12-19-2009 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsn48 (Post 291966)
Here in Pacific North West, our weather in the winter can create a self wash. Just put the gravel in the bucket and leave it out for one of our many monsoon rains, and voila - instant self cleaning.

:lol: you cheater!!!!!

Mecal 12-19-2009 06:28 PM

yeah I hear ya.
It's a chilly 72F right now here in Phoenix. :dunno:

Mean Harri 12-19-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Angel079 (Post 291873)
Man, I want some decent snow here too! Granted I don't miss the CO blizzards too much but some snow would be NICE :-)

Yea normal gravel I washed in the tub too...but sand...I decided I didn't wanna take my chances clog up the tub, so I went outside....

Now I think I'm gonna do the 10g and the 1.5g (experimental tank) today and just hide out in my "fish-office" lol

We don't get too bad of snows on the front range. Although in the 7 years that I've been in CO we've had two blizzards. But if you were in the springs, yeah south of that Palmer divide it gets nasty.

Angel079 12-19-2009 07:04 PM

Tell me lol I lived in the Springs for many yrs :-)

I'm doneeeee...well at least with the 2nd 10g set up, somehow it triggered a chain reaction (having ordered too many plants) to rescape the 45g a lil which now winds up changing the OTHER 10g a lil....oh and I still gotta set up the 1.5g experimental....sooo much to do what had I gotten myself into LOL

redlessi 12-19-2009 08:26 PM

I am in Philly and it has been snowing since last night. We have about 12 inches so far and it is still coming heavy.