Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Freshwater and Tropical Fish (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/)
-   -   odd couple (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/odd-couple-3398/)

Mattney 02-18-2007 12:01 AM

odd couple
 
Hi I'm new to the fish forum and wanted to know if this is an odd occurence or not. I recently had to remove the most deranged killer Leporinus fish from my tank (hes in solitary now) as he killed many a good, and expensive fish! Well the entire time he was in the tank, my Angelicus hid by digging his own cave and never coming out. Since he left the Angelicus started coming out more often but always steered clear of every other fish. I just got a Raphael Catfish and as soon as he was in the tank he claimed one of the caves in my tank and hasn't moved since, but as soon as the Angelicus saw him, he buddied right up with him, and hasn't left his side yet. Does anyone know if the two species are normally like this, or what.

Lupin 02-18-2007 01:58 AM

Re: odd couple
 
Welcome.:wave:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattney
I recently had to remove the most deranged killer Leporinus fish from my tank (hes in solitary now) as he killed many a good, and expensive fish!

Leporinus aren't really deranged at all.:wink2: In fact, they get aggressive hence it is not advisable to place them in a community tank. Almost all anostomids are very aggressive.

I assume this is a black-banded leporinus, right?:)

Quote:

Well the entire time he was in the tank, my Angelicus hid by digging his own cave and never coming out. Since he left the Angelicus started coming out more often but always steered clear of every other fish. I just got a Raphael Catfish and as soon as he was in the tank he claimed one of the caves in my tank and hasn't moved since, but as soon as the Angelicus saw him, he buddied right up with him, and hasn't left his side yet. Does anyone know if the two species are normally like this, or what.
Seems your catfishes are getting along well. Nothing is strange about it.:)

Mattney 02-18-2007 02:02 AM

Yea it's a black banded Leporinus. He killed the Barbs, he killed the Ornate Bichir, and he nipped the fins off everyone else. Now he shares a ten gallon with two crabs.

Lupin 02-18-2007 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mattney
Yea it's a black banded Leporinus. He killed the Barbs, he killed the Ornate Bichir, and he nipped the fins off everyone else. Now he shares a ten gallon with two crabs.

I would rather return him to the lfs or rehome him in a 55 gallons tank by himself. That kind of leporinus can easily outgrow a 10 gallons at almost 14 inches in size.

Mattney 02-18-2007 12:12 PM

I would put him in a bigger tank if I could right now, but it will have to wait as Im in an apartment that would frown on another tank of any size. When we bought him the pet store guy assured us it wouldnt get bigger than six to eight inches... after allot of research I know now how big he will get. Right now he is only 2 inches long so he has some time before he needs a new home.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2