Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   substrate question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/substrate-question-3395/)

otis07 02-17-2007 09:22 PM

substrate question

i am currently getting all the supplies to make a 29 gallon tank for a bunch of different fish, gourami's koolies, corydoras ect. and was wondering what substrate i should use. i have gravel, but want something softer for the koolies to burrow in. what about sand? what kind of sand is safe for fish tanks, and is it sand you can buy at home depot or something, or is it "fish sand?" thanks!

musho3210 02-17-2007 10:12 PM

Sand is good as long as you mix it around every week to prevent anearobic spots, it also cancels your chances of an UGF. But sand is great for kuhlis and corydoras, the corydoras will look very nice digging around in the sand. Just go to home depot and get some playground sand there, its cheap and inert

TaiyedDreamland 02-18-2007 12:04 AM

I've heard of people getting pool filter sand and using that as well. Apparently it's a bit heavier than other types of sand, so you can still use a gravel vac to vacuum up things that would fall to the surface and rest there (you still wouldnt' be able to put the gravel vac into the sand though I'm pretty sure). I'll be switching to sand this summer (I have yoyos and dojo loaches). Good luck.

Amphitrite 02-18-2007 04:58 AM

I switched from gravel to sand about seven months ago, before getting a group of kuhlie loaches.

I wouldn't move back to gravel, as I find it much easier to keep the sand clean - dirt rests on top of the sand and it's much easier to see and remove.

I bought the sand from my local aquarium shop - just one word of advice if you do decide to go with it - rinse it very well or you'll have one very cloudy tank. :)

tophat665 02-18-2007 09:05 AM

I've used all purpose sand from home despot. I sifted it to get a grain size around 3mm. Made it much eaiser to rinse. I've also used play sand. That compacts like you wouldn't believe.

otis07 02-18-2007 09:58 AM

all purpose sand it is

i guess i didn't realize you could use that kind of sand, but i'm happy cuase it's so cheap. i want some for my koolie's to burrow in, thanks all!

Amphitrite 02-18-2007 10:01 AM

Re: all purpose sand it is

Quote:

Originally Posted by otis07
i guess i didn't realize you could use that kind of sand, but i'm happy cuase it's so cheap. i want some for my koolie's to burrow in, thanks all!

Good luck with it otis, and let us know how it goes. The kuhlies will certainly appreciate it :)

otis07 02-18-2007 10:11 AM

will do. i looked at your gallery, nice tanks!

Dk 02-18-2007 10:33 PM

Switching my tank over to sand was the best thing i ever did for my loaches and cory cats. They love to burrow in it and it doesnt hurt thier barbals. Just dont expect them to not rearrange the tank . Its alot harder to keep plants rooted or plastic ones sunk in the sand.

otis07 02-19-2007 09:37 AM

good to know

if i put a lot of plants in, will they all end up at the top? what about mixing gravel and sand? that would look kinda neat, the plants woud stay, and the loaches and cory cats would still be happy. any one ever had experience with this?