Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Invertebrates (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/)
-   -   weekend feeders good for snails? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/invertebrates/weekend-feeders-good-snails-33917/)

SinCrisis 12-17-2009 01:41 AM

weekend feeders good for snails?

Hey all,

Im about to go on vacation for 2 weeks and I was gonna go buy one of those white weekend feeder blocks. I figured the calcium would be good and there would be food for him too but upon reading the label, there's also copper in there. Does anyone know if the dose is small enough to not matter or if its not safe? The food is wardley brand.

Mecal 12-17-2009 02:05 AM

how much copper? I know some plant nutrients contain copper as well, and it doesn't seem to be harmful (in the recommended dose anyway).

jaysee 12-17-2009 08:00 AM

Copper is lethal to inverts, so if it doesn't kill it, it'll just makethe snail sick for the two weeks you're gone. 2 weeks is a long time, but not long enough for fish to starve to death. I have left my tanks for 2 weeks without feeding them and all was good when I returned. You'd be suprised how much there is to eat in the tank; I would just do a big water change before I left.

SinCrisis 12-17-2009 10:24 AM

Is the amount in the food enough to make the snail sick? There are benefits from using this weekend feeder too such as the calcium for the snail's shell. Is there anything i can use to neutralize copper?

jaysee 12-20-2009 12:55 PM

To be honest, I don't know how much copper it takes to kill. It is definitely lethal though, so I am just assuming that a non-lethal dose would make it sick.

kelly528 12-21-2009 11:54 AM

I'm shocked that nobody has addressed the issue of weekend-feeder pollution!

Here are my comments on weekend feeders cut and pasted from a similar thread.
Quote:

They are not too appetising to fish, have the nutritional value of chalk and basically it is like dumping a heap of nasty food in your tank. It just dissolves into the water making it completely inedible and pollutes the tank severely. Given you are going away fo a few days you may not be able to change the water before all the excess ammonia kills your fish.

And as pomaddict mentioned in the wrong pH they could go up in a puff of ammonia within a day! This is why I am firmly convinced that it your fish would stand a better chance with starvation. Even if you have spent, say, $30 on all of your fish (plus the $10 you waste on the block feeders)that's enough to make an auto feeder worth it.
Another thing is that if the pollution kills one fish, it will rot in the tank and pollute it further until it kills another fish, whihc will pollute the tank even more, and so on. The snowball effect.

So if I were you I would just get an auto feeder or barring that get someone to feed your fish. If you don't trust anyone not to overfeed the tank, get two of those pill cases with a compartment for every day of the week. Then you can load them up with the proper amount of food and all the fish-sitter has to do is dump them in every day.

jaysee 12-22-2009 11:31 AM

I agree, weekend feeders are horrible. Your fish are better off starving while you're gone. I don't even bother with the automatic feeders.