|kelly528 ||12-21-2009 12:54 PM |
I'm shocked that nobody has addressed the issue of weekend-feeder pollution!
Here are my comments on weekend feeders cut and pasted from a similar thread.
They are not too appetising to fish, have the nutritional value of chalk and basically it is like dumping a heap of nasty food in your tank. It just dissolves into the water making it completely inedible and pollutes the tank severely. Given you are going away fo a few days you may not be able to change the water before all the excess ammonia kills your fish.
And as pomaddict mentioned in the wrong pH they could go up in a puff of ammonia within a day! This is why I am firmly convinced that it your fish would stand a better chance with starvation. Even if you have spent, say, $30 on all of your fish (plus the $10 you waste on the block feeders)that's enough to make an auto feeder worth it.
Another thing is that if the pollution kills one fish, it will rot in the tank and pollute it further until it kills another fish, whihc will pollute the tank even more
, and so on. The snowball effect.
So if I were you I would just get an auto feeder or barring that get someone to feed your fish. If you don't trust anyone not to overfeed the tank, get two of those pill cases with a compartment for every day of the week. Then you can load them up with the proper amount of food and all the fish-sitter has to do is dump them in every day.