Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Planted tanks failing!!!! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/planted-tanks-failing-33852/)

Blaxicanlatino 12-15-2009 04:50 PM

Planted tanks failing!!!!

in my main 10 gallon tank, i noticed a consistentgrowth of green dust algae on the glass of the tank! i have to scrub all sides of tank 0nce a week and many of my plants such as my anubias nana, pennwort, moneywort and water wisteria are getting green blotches all over it. Ive been fighting this stuff for some time with no success. the tank is a 10 gallon with 25 watts. i think maybe a few months ago, i put in alot of root tabs. could that be a source of too much nutrition? i also put in 8 drops of seachem flourish every week also.

in my other 10 gallon tank, its aa new cycling tank with 30 watts. and i bought some micro swords baby tears into the tank but the baby tears are dying off quickly. at first it looked like the baby tears wre growing but then suddenly started dying. And the micro sword looks like its growing but theres alot of white stuff in it. not sure what it is 0_0. ps im using that seachem flourite sand for this tank.

any suggestions?! please help! thanky ou

Angel079 12-15-2009 05:55 PM

How long has the tank been running? Its fairly common in new tanks.
Goggel pictures for "green spot algae" - Is that what your plants look like?
What tab's exactly did you use? And how many do you recall adding in there? Most brands I read up on recommend 4-5 pills for 10g - was it far more or less then that?
How long are you running your lights?
Any detectable NO2 NO3 or Ammonia levels?

Sorry so many add. questions I just wanna have all needed facts to help. I do not think its too much nutrition I think you have a imbalance between fert's / lights and maybe even the amount of w/c.

Byron 12-15-2009 07:36 PM

In addition to the info asked by Angel, what type of light (presumably fluorescent, but what make, name and wattage)? And I'm not sure what the "white stuff" refers to, can you post a picture?

But a couple of things do jump out from your post. First, substrate fertilization is next to useless for the plants you have named in the "main 10g" tank. None of those plants have extensive substrate roots, even the Wisteria which does develop good substrate roots also has roots along the stems, indicating it absorbs nutrients mainly from the water column. While I'm not certain as to how much nutrient would leech into the water from tabs in the substrate, they are wasted, though they may be useful to the algae.

As for Flourish Comprehensive (I assume it is the comprehensive product), dose the recommended amount on the label, no more. It is very effective fertilizer. While all this may balance the light [more on this momentarily], it probably doesn't balance the carbon (from CO2 from the fish) unless the tank is heavily stocked with fish. And the light is certainly more than I would use over a 10g. Fifteen watts is plenty; 30 watts over the new 10g for the higher light plants won't achieve anything if the carbon and other nutrients are inadequate to balance. Your light schedule will tell us more.

Byron.

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2009 11:28 AM

Thanks for the elaborate replies. I use compact flourescent light bulbs, the main tank use daylight bulbs and the other uses soft white. The new tank I put baby tears and micro sword in so I figures high lights but I think co2 might be the issue. I'm not using a diy in neither tank so should I put one for each tank? Would adding more fish help?

Angel079 12-16-2009 11:31 AM

Daylight is good to grow plants. However if the water offer no fert's, then that's your issue, so I'd buy something like Flourish Comprehensive and/ or Excel and start using it for several weeks.

How long per day are your lights on? What's your pH and KH in each tank?

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2009 11:31 AM

Lights are on 8 hours a day. No ammonia or nitrite and about 5-10 ppm nitrate for the main. I'm not sure about the new one yet. I realize though that I never understood balance if light, nutrition and co2. I Always though high lights for high light plants.

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2009 11:47 AM

pH is 6.6 and im not too sure about kH but last i checked it was very high! i dose the main tank with the daylight bulbs with seachem flourish

Byron 12-16-2009 12:49 PM

I personally wouldn't bother with CO2 on such small tanks. If carbon is the missing nutrient, Seachem's Excel carbon supplement will work. I've never had to use this as I have a good fish stocking in my tanks and I experiement over a few weeks to get the other nutrients (via fertilizer) balanced, and the light too. Don't overload the tanks with fish, but yes, the more fish the more CO2 there will be. Avoiding any surface disturbance and having minimal filtration (water movement) also conserves CO2 which is expelled out of the water quickly the more water movement and surface disturbance there is in a tank.

Byron.

Blaxicanlatino 12-16-2009 12:57 PM

oh see so it takes trial and error? that makes sense. i had some excel but i ran out. i was gonna add more femlale platys to the tank (slowly of course) and there is high surface movement from the filter. i tried putting some plastic inside the filter so that it would slow the flow of water but it just made if overflow 0_0 lol maybe i should clean the tnak more often? i clean once a week. and remove enough water to where i have to replace a gallon of water.

on the main tank with 25 watts, should i lower the wattage? would my plants be ok with thtat?

MoneyMitch 12-16-2009 01:59 PM

on a 10 gallon you should be removing around 3 gallons every week, try bumping up your w/c amount to that or 25-35% once a week. cut your lights as follows, on 4 off 4 on 4 angel had success with that and might also mess with the amount of liquid fert your using just try to find that sweet spot.