Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   worried about pleco (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/worried-about-pleco-3383/)

lioness501 02-17-2007 05:08 AM

worried about pleco

my middle sized pleco, Zeberdee, seems to b bresthing rather rapidly and doesnt seem to b sucking onto anythin, but he is eating well and swimming around normally. i have added extra air stone but it doesnt seem to have helped. ive been watching him for 2 weeks and no change. wat u think may b up? the other 2 plecs r just fine and all other fish r good too water params r, ammonia, 0 nitrite 0 , nitrate 20 ph 7.2

Lupin 02-17-2007 08:03 PM

Monitor the fish closely. Observe if the fish may be breathing stronger as time passes. It could be gill flukes but don't jump to it and treat. You'll need to monitor the plec further until you can clearly suspect what exactly is happening.

bettababy 02-18-2007 02:35 PM

How big is this tank? What is the temp? What species and how many of each are in this tank?

lioness501 02-19-2007 03:24 AM

wat r the signs of gill flukes? i noticed that his breathing steadied for a while yesterday, the tank is 29 gal(i know he will out grow it soon, but hes only 5 inches) the temp is 77 and other fish r , mollies, guppies, swords, danios, shark, tetras, and rams, one of the fish bother each other

Lupin 02-19-2007 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lioness501
wat r the signs of gill flukes?

Breathing becomes stronger everyday until the fish hang just under the surface and breathe rapidly, one-sided breathing, one or both gill lids are spread open or compressed and the fish scrub themselves at the gill lid.

bettababy 02-19-2007 05:03 PM

This doesn't sound like a case of gill flukes. First and foremost, gill flukes are highly contageous, and the other fish in the tank would/should be affected by it, and there are some outward signs to be looking for. There are a lot of possiblities, but without more information, there is no way to properly diagnose this situation. If you medicate for gill flukes at this point, I would fear for all of the fish in the tank with being mis medicated.
What else can you tell us about this tank/situation? How long have you seen a problem? Are there other plecos in the tank? What kind of foods are you offering to the sick fish? Can you better describe the symptoms in more detail please?

JTheFishGuyG 02-19-2007 05:50 PM

MY opinion

My opinion well not advice but your pleco probably has plenty of air it doesnt sound like your pleco is sick if you see any signs of sickness than treat it but it doesnt seem like any kind of disease there's also a thing called to much air believe it or not that's why i have a filter that emits just the right amount of air. air stones are such a bother to Ive actually herd of cases were the air stone brakes apart and gets into the fishes gills maybe that's the problem or maybe it's old well how old is it anyways I'm sure you'll figure it out it doesnt sound like it should be worried about but keep a close eye anyways hope this helped . but remember don't forget about it keep an eye on him pleaseee.

lioness501 02-20-2007 10:03 AM

hes been like it for about 2 weeks, he shows no tell tale signs of sickness at all, he eats sinking pellets and bloodworms if he gets to them in time, the other 2 plecs r just fine, im not sure hw old he is, ive had him for 2 years, there r no othe symptoms! and dont worry J i watch my fish closely everyday for at least an hour in total, always make sure there is no sickness and that they r all happy and healthy :)

JTheFishGuyG 02-20-2007 04:55 PM

keep it up

sounds awsome