Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   acei Q's (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/acei-qs-33796/)

MoneyMitch 12-14-2009 03:20 PM

acei Q's

so i have a 55 gal with all africans mostly from the tangiyaka lake s.p? my acei was just put back into the tank after a ich case and she has been clean for about 20 days or so before she was in the tank.

now that she is in the tank she is constantly getting bullied and kept under the filter outlet. i re arranged the tank and everything the day she was re introduced. would it help things if i got two more for a totall of three? im thinking of getting one more female and one male. would these school together and hopefully not get picked on as much?

rrcoolj 12-14-2009 09:48 PM

What other fish are in the tank? Anytime you put a fish in a tank after being gone a while it risk loosing it's rank so it basiclly has to climb back up in the ranking. Adding more acei would help I think to distibute the aggression. Oh, and make sure there are plenty of hiding places among rocks and what not.

MoneyMitch 12-14-2009 10:05 PM

others are africans which should be nuff said there, but even when i first got her she was in a group of like 4-5 other new fish that were added at the same time. she always trys to hang by the red top cobalt but gets bullied by him too. after she was in the tank for a bout a month she had come down with ich and needed to be qtnd. after about a monht of treatment and reintroducing her the process is re occuring with the aggression from the other fish. i just dont want her to stress to the point of becoming sick once again and was curious if a school of 3 or so would get picked on or if these guys even schoiol at all.

rrcoolj 12-14-2009 10:47 PM

Well if I remeber right acei actually do like to "school" so adding more might make her feel more comftorable. But even so if she was conftorable in the tank it might just be a matter of readjusting. If you can, add more acei but if not then just give her some time to get used to things. Overstocking is always good especially with mbunas.

MoneyMitch 12-15-2009 01:38 PM

aliright thanks for the reply, might have to get a few more here what would be the minimum to have so that they will school? and should i get males females?

p.s she has never been able to freely swim in the tank even before the ich case.

rrcoolj 12-15-2009 02:57 PM

Ahh okay so I would add 1m and 2f and you should be fine. That will take some of the heat off of her and it will make her feel more comftorble.

Fishin Pole 12-16-2009 12:14 PM

I got news for you Mitch.......All the species you have listed in your aquarium profile are from Lake Malawi.......None of the fish listed are from Lake Tanganyika...........I agree with RR, adding a few more shouldnt be that big of a deal...Aceis are generally peaceful and with the nimbochromis in there, its probably gonna get worse, before it gets better........

MoneyMitch 12-16-2009 02:26 PM

the nombo is very peacefull never see him chase anyone or nip anyone, only fish that looks stressed is her, but ill add some more and see how things work and since these guys are all juvy's and feed flake shoulkdnt have a prob but ill keep my fingers crossed :X

rrcoolj 12-16-2009 03:10 PM

sorry but that livingstoni will eventually out grow that tank and they can be mad carnivorous. I'd watch your fish VERY carefully.

Fishin Pole 12-16-2009 03:19 PM

he still has some time, all the fish are juvies, but livingstoni's do carry quite the reputation as being a nasty fish, and in a tank to small its gonna get dicey.........Mitch is dedicated, he will upgrade as he needs to.......No worry there........