Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cyprinids and Atherinids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/)
-   -   Yo-Yo Loach Trio... friendships unfold! (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cyprinids-atherinids/yo-yo-loach-trio-friendships-unfold-33769/)

stephanieleah 12-13-2009 09:53 PM

Yo-Yo Loach Trio... friendships unfold!

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to share a little about my yo-yo loaches...

I have three, and they are all new, about two or so weeks in my tank. Two of them formed a "couple" immediately...the third would go off and hide in the plants. He'd hide so well I'd have to look for him for a while before I could find him! I thought he must be sick and any day he's going to die.

Anyway, the two lovers had started out very feisty, in fact they all had. Zipping around the tank, up and down and back and forth. It was fun to watch.

Once the lovers found each other, they started hanging out together more and more. I started to worry because I would find them separated with the lazier one lying on it's side looking dead. The other would be zipping around as usual. Then I'd go back a while later and the other would have joined the lazy one. They would lay side by side, sometimes on a perch, sometimes near some driftwood. When the lazy one would start to drift off of the perch, the other would nudge it awake and they would reposition themselves on the ledge.

For a while I worried...I had this lazy one who looked half dead all the time, and the third one was always hiding and still. Did I buy sick loaches?

Well, the last week has seen the eruption of a full blown love triangle. The lazy and the shy ones, along with the zipper, all now hang out in one big happy group, swimming together, going off to hunt, and then re-convening like old friends. They just had to find their own niches in the tank, and now they are a harmonious triad.

I love watching the relationships in bloom.

Twistersmom 12-14-2009 11:48 AM

Congrats on the yoyo loaches! I think they are my favorite, of all my fish.They are such silly fish, always make me smile.

aunt kymmie 12-14-2009 12:02 PM

I'm glad your trio has *erupted*. Yoyos are great fun!

rsheets 12-15-2009 01:55 PM

are these the ones that eat snails? Cool pics and pretty fish.

Ramenuzumaki 12-15-2009 02:23 PM

grats on the new fishies!
i love Loaches :)
they are my favourite! all of em :)

rsheets 12-15-2009 03:11 PM

I see where they are semi-aggressive. Why is that?

aunt kymmie 12-15-2009 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsheets (Post 290188)
I see where they are semi-aggressive. Why is that?

The only reason I can think that they'd be considered semi-aggressive is that they are extremely rambunctious, but only with each other. I've yet to see even one of my seven ever bother any other fish in the tank. Yes, they LOVE snails.

stephanieleah 12-16-2009 12:24 AM

Mine only eat small snails, but then again they are still small themselves.

When I had only one in the tank, before I got #2 and #3, the solo would follow other fish. I think just to have someone to hang around with. They weren't interested and he quickly gave up.

They are my favorite fish, besides my BN.

rsheets 12-16-2009 12:24 AM

Cool, I'm gona have to get some, Do you have to get them in sets.

stephanieleah 12-16-2009 12:29 AM

Definitely, they say at least three (and I would concur based on the behavior of my three) and to have hiding spots for them (my live plants do a great job of that...they literally lay in the foliage) so that the less "senior" members of the clan can hide when the more dominant ones try to have their way with them. They're funny, sometimes they are nonstop action and sometimes they are very sedentary. They are very beautiful, too, though I think they lose some contrast as they grow older.