Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Planted Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/)
-   -   Plant anchors (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-planted-aquarium/plant-anchors-33745/)

Hawkian 12-13-2009 04:58 PM

Plant anchors

Hi All,

Most of the plants I buy come with a lead-type anchor that is wrapper around the stem. Because I have a substrate that isn't too deep, I've been keeping the anchors around the plants where the substrate isn't too deep. But now I'm wondering if that is good practice. Does anyone have an opinion on that?

Merry Michael 12-13-2009 05:53 PM

I've used those and my own version of that...fishing weights, for almost @$#%^& years! (let's just keep it at lots of years,'kay?!)!! and none of my fish had any ill effects. I do take the plants out and wash them frequently,but,no ill effects to date!! Oh...are they live or plastic/silk??? I don't think that matters tho...:shock:

Hawkian 12-13-2009 05:58 PM

They are live ones...

I still need to see the day that a plastic plant will die from an anchor of any type... sorry MM... that was too easy! LOL!

However... your post answers my question perfectly! Thanks!

jmlampert23 12-13-2009 05:58 PM

i would be very careful putting led inside your tank, very toxic

Hawkian 12-13-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmlampert23 (Post 289100)
i would be very careful putting led inside your tank, very toxic

So, this is what pushed me into this thread really. I know from being a parent to a toddler (and other reasons) that lead is not exactly good. Can this stuff leak into the water? Doesn't the fact that a company like Penn-Plax (as an example) produce some of these anchors tell you that - heck - they should be good for your tank? After all... didn't they research the stuff before marketing it? I understand that this is a naive question on my part... but it needs to be asked doesn't it?

Anyone care to comment?

Merry Michael 12-13-2009 07:53 PM

Like I said before...HONEST!! I've never had any trouble with those type of anchors!! HONEST!:shock::shock::shock: I sometimes stuff the weights into surgie plastic if I've got the time. But,if it says it's ok for aquariums,it usually is!! HONEST!!:-P

Hawkian 12-13-2009 08:47 PM

Well as long as your honest... and Merry... heck I'll believe ya! :-)

jmlampert23 12-13-2009 08:50 PM

you can use almost anything else other than let. heck get a bag of small aquarium rocks at the pet store as anchors. i would deffinitly not put lead in your tank. i mean would you suck on a piece of lead?

Hawkian 12-13-2009 09:19 PM

Point taken lampert... understand that I am holding back on the "sucking on lead" comment here... probably for the benefit of everyone else :D

mgamer20o0 12-14-2009 02:55 AM

they dont hurt anything but they surly dont help the plants much. i would add to your substrate and get rid of the weights.