Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Hypothetically wanting to de-stock a fish...? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/hypothetically-wanting-de-stock-fish-33738/)

Hawkian 12-13-2009 02:47 PM

Hypothetically wanting to de-stock a fish...?

OK so I realize that this may not turn out to be the most popular thread but I am sure that I am not the only hobbyist out there that has been in this situation. Let's say - hypothetically - that I made a mistake with getting a rainbow shark for my 32g tank. Let's say - hypothetically - that I was looking to remove him from the tank. Now I don't have another tank that I can put him in so I would have to - hypothetically - give him away.

What are the options? Will the LFS take him back or do I have to find him a new home with another individual? What are everyone's experiences with this kind of situation... hypothetically?

CamryDS 12-13-2009 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkian (Post 288973)
OK so I realize that this may not turn out to be the most popular thread but I am sure that I am not the only hobbyist out there that has been in this situation. Let's say - hypothetically - that I made a mistake with getting a rainbow shark for my 32g tank. Let's say - hypothetically - that I was looking to remove him from the tank. Now I don't have another tank that I can put him in so I would have to - hypothetically - give him away.

What are the options? Will the LFS take him back or do I have to find him a new home with another individual? What are everyone's experiences with this kind of situation... hypothetically?

LFS will take them back, but not with a refund -- you're going to have to donate it. i'd ask them just in case.

Angel079 12-13-2009 04:02 PM

:lol: Awesome post Hawkin!!! :lol:

Hypothetically, in case this ever happens to anyone in real life :-D bring it back tot he LSF you got it from - hypothetically- and tell them they advised you on the wrong size fish for the wrong tank and that these are too large for a 32g and need a ~80g tank- hypothetically- nicly ask them to exchange it for something else that fits your tank...just all - hypothetically- of cause :-D

Otherwise offer it to folks here in the Classifieds or aquabit or any kinda local free paper you can put add's into....just all - hypothetically- of cause :-D

La Reina 12-13-2009 04:06 PM

You can put your -hypothetical- fish in a -hypothetical- Kijiji ad. :D

Merry Michael 12-13-2009 05:02 PM

*hypothetically* if you've talked up and your LFS has gotten to know you...*hypothetically* you can trade the fish in for food or new goodies...*hypothetically*
I trade my excess Guppies *hypothetically* for food and "stuff"...there never seems to be a glut of Guppies around here!! Your LFS *hypothetically* should give you something for your fish,if you've not had it for long...*hypothetically* that is! I've gotten to know either the managers and better yet,the owners! I just don't know what people do with the Guppies,'cuz I'm always being asked for more???!*hypothetically*:shock:

stephanieleah 12-13-2009 05:06 PM

thank you for being a responsible fish owner! and I don't mean that hypothetically : )

WisFish 12-13-2009 05:11 PM

Talk to the LFS. Some will take them back and give you something for it. Usually not full price. But it's better than nothing.

Hawkian 12-13-2009 05:35 PM

LOL! * You guys are killing me! *

Merry Michael 12-13-2009 05:48 PM

OOoo...does that mean you'll be crossing off that Rainbow shark off your siggie any time soon???:shock:

Hawkian 12-13-2009 05:51 PM

No no... ME... not the fish!!!