Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Tropical Fish Diseases (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/)
-   -   What's the best freshwater treatments to keep on hand? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/tropical-fish-diseases/whats-best-freshwater-treatments-keep-hand-33736/)

Erik11 12-13-2009 01:01 PM

What's the best freshwater treatments to keep on hand?

Even though my tanks do not have any problems at the moment, sometimes something pops up.

What Brand of freshwater treatments are the best to have on hand in case of an emergency?

Kordon products?
Jungle Products?
Mardel Products
Aquatronics (If you can get it)?
Something else?

There are so many, but I want to keep the best on hand. Please help....

JouteiMike 12-13-2009 01:13 PM

Before I recommend any medication, IMO medication should be used a last resort. The last you want to do is start throwing chemicals in your tank. Something to consider too is the need of a quarantine or hospital tank. These are important so you can treat just the sick or injured fish, and also so if it is contagious. Like you said, there are just so many out there for so many different symptoms. Your best bet is to read up on the different types of disease, and parasites so you can better identify what the cause of the problem is, and what you need to do to help the fish. And also to read up on each type of medication, because some precautions need to be addressed prior to using certain medications.

First and foremost, before using any medications, water changes are key. Keep the water nice and pristine and fish can recover on their own from a wide variety of ailments.

Back to what you originally wanted, I would highly recommend the brand API for medications. I have used them for years, and I am sure many memebers here would recommend them as well.

jmlampert23 12-13-2009 01:40 PM

i do not have any medications on hand. i hardly ever use them. i do have on hand all the time is seachem prime and stability. used during water changes and as needed

stephanieleah 12-13-2009 06:48 PM

I keep a bottle of safe start live bacteria (tetra brand) just in case something goes haywire and i have to use a QT and start a new cycle (i don't have a QT up and running). i don't know how much good this does but that's what i keep on hand. Oh, and Amquel water conditioner. Those are my staples.

Mikaila31 12-13-2009 07:05 PM

I rarely use meds, but the ones I do use are aquari-sol(or coppersafe if you want to spend $). Levamisole HCl (pig dewormer) and my prescription minocycline (use Maracyn two). Or anything else under whatever name that has the active ingredients I want to treat with.

jeaninel 12-13-2009 07:13 PM

Good advice from JouteiMike. Keeping the water clean is the best medicine. I do have on hand some Melafix and also some Quick Cure that was left over from a past treatment. Be aware that a lot of meds have a certain shelf life so it may be best not to stock up. Just buy them when needed so they'll be fresh.

Erik11 12-13-2009 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone. Great advice and lots to consider!

MoneyMitch 12-14-2009 02:09 PM

normally i dont stock up on anything, but due to a last outbreak i have nox-ich and metroMS on hand which pretty much covers all the most common things~