Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Cichlids (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/)
-   -   New tank question (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/cichlids/new-tank-question-337314/)

savyz 01-23-2014 05:09 PM

New tank question

Hello,

My husband and I purchased a 36 gallon tank for our family. Currently in the tank is:

1 Firemouth
1 Red Chromide
1 Rainbow shark
1 Redtail shark
5 x Tiger Barbs
1 Pleco

They are all pretty small and seem to have plenty of room to swim, and a few hiding areas provided. They all seem to get along fine, although the Chromid and Firemouth pick on each other a bit. No nipped fins or anything. But they do tend to hang out together a lot. The barbs school well. The sharks are loners. So is the pleco of course.

I was wondering if I can get away with putting a few more small fish in. I like Cichlids, but I know it can be difficult to match them up. Any ideas, advice, comments, constructive criticism would be appreciated!

Thanks!

J

SpyceyMeatball 01-24-2014 12:04 AM

Your firemouth is gonna be a problem. Never had much luck keeping them with anything other than 3+ of their own. Rainbow shark and redtail shark will eventually duke it out until 1 is left, too. Pretty quickly too.

Have you looked at kribenisis? Easy to keep and very easy to breed too. You have a pretty nice mix of aggressive fish lol.

If it were me, I would keep the barbs, rainbow shark, and pleco and look into some kribs...

Then again, tiger barbs are kinda like those super annoying flies that buzz around your head that you can never kill.

Rams would pretty cool too, and keeps with the south american theme.

jaysee 01-24-2014 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyceyMeatball (Post 3788954)
Rams would pretty cool too, and keeps with the south american theme.

What South American theme?? The only SA fish the OP has is the pleco (most likely).

SpyceyMeatball 01-24-2014 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3789058)
What South American theme?? The only SA fish the OP has is the pleco (most likely).

I don't know why I said that lol. Brain fart. Technically the firemouth is a central american cichlid.

But I stand my ground on terrible fish selection. I say nuke it.

savyz 01-24-2014 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyceyMeatball (Post 3789082)
I don't know why I said that lol. Brain fart. Technically the firemouth is a central american cichlid.

But I stand my ground on terrible fish selection. I say nuke it.

Well that's a bummer. The Firemouth is MY fish, and my favorite. I don't want to ditch him. The tiger barbs are my young son's favorite. He loves the way they school, so I'd like to keep those, too.

savyz 01-24-2014 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3789058)

lol
So what do you think of the selection?

jaysee 01-24-2014 08:31 AM

I have to agree, it's got a high potential for problems. Not yet cause they are still small. Were I you, I would be looking for a 55 gallon. You'll still probably run into a problem with the two sharks, but I really wouldn't put your stock in less than a 4 foot long tank.

SpyceyMeatball 01-24-2014 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysee (Post 3790178)
You'll still probably run into a problem with the two sharks

Not probably, will, definitely run into problems. Just a matter of time. Sooner, rather than later. Think of it as the most extreme rules of tag, ever. Tag: To the Death.

Firemouths are pretty cool. Kept by itself they tend to get kinda shy. You should ditch everything but the pleco, firemouth, and barbs. Then go out and buy 4 more.

A lot of times LFS's will buy back fish, or fish from bog box stores, at next to nothing...but every little bit helps when your getting a school of firemouths.

A school of firemouths with some barbs would look pretty cool, IMHO. Barbs will definitly hold their ground against the cichlids. They are wily little devils. That should be a pretty good matchup. May be able to pull off a shark, too, but thats pretty much pushin it for your tank.

Firemouths, barbs, pleco. Solid lineup. If I had to pick a pleco for that lineup, I would say rubber lip. But any should hang.

savyz 01-24-2014 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpyceyMeatball (Post 3790418)
Not probably, will, definitely run into problems. Just a matter of time. Sooner, rather than later. Think of it as the most extreme rules of tag, ever. Tag: To the Death.

Firemouths are pretty cool. Kept by itself they tend to get kinda shy. You should ditch everything but the pleco, firemouth, and barbs. Then go out and buy 4 more.

A lot of times LFS's will buy back fish, or fish from bog box stores, at next to nothing...but every little bit helps when your getting a school of firemouths.

A school of firemouths with some barbs would look pretty cool, IMHO. Barbs will definitly hold their ground against the cichlids. They are wily little devils. That should be a pretty good matchup. May be able to pull off a shark, too, but thats pretty much pushin it for your tank.

Firemouths, barbs, pleco. Solid lineup. If I had to pick a pleco for that lineup, I would say rubber lip. But any should hang.

I think that's a really good idea. Thanks for the advice. I'll show this to the hubs and see if he's game. Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up coming here himself for more advice.

savyz 01-24-2014 10:19 AM

Is this pushing it?

5 firemouths
6 tiger barbs
1 pleco

36 gallon tank