Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources

Tropical Fish Keeping - Aquarium fish care and resources (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/)
-   Beginner Freshwater Aquarium (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/)
-   -   Is my tank cycled? (http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/beginner-freshwater-aquarium/my-tank-cycled-336922/)

crzy2u 01-22-2014 08:28 PM

Is my tank cycled?

I know all about the nitrogen cycle rest assured.
My readings are .25 ammonia 0 nitrites 5 nitrates.

I know my ammonia should be at 0 but I think it might be ammonium instead of ammonia (and my test kit doesn't test for this, of course >.>) and this reading of .25 has NOT budged.
Also, I can't tell if I ever had a nitrite spike.. Maybe it happened to quickly, or maybe since I was stupidly using test strips in the beginning, I never saw it?

Anyway I'm really not sure what to do..

sandybottom 01-22-2014 09:30 PM

how long has your tank been up for?why do you think it is ammonium?did you just condition the water?

mechanical8dragon 01-22-2014 10:53 PM

test your tap for Nitrates. I know my tap has 5ppm Nitrates. Also your ammonia thing is confusing me.. since the test kit can't test for ammonium it should be ammonia. If it hasn't budged, then you probably don't have the bacteria eating it. and yes, same Q, how long have u had the tank running?

crzy2u 01-23-2014 12:33 AM

I've had it for about two weeks but I used Tetra Safestart (which is supposed to work in a week)
The fact that the ammonia is neither going up nor down even though I have fish to give off more ammonia is kind of weird.
Test kits that don't specifically test ammonium usually can't tell the difference between ammonia and ammonium so that's why.

sandybottom 01-23-2014 02:44 AM

ammonium usually shows up at low ph or because of a binding agent.i was wondering why you think it is ammonium? did you use a binder,like prime or do you have a low ph?

crzy2u 01-23-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sandybottom (Post 3783210)
ammonium usually shows up at low ph or because of a binding agent.i was wondering why you think it is ammonium? did you use a binder,like prime or do you have a low ph?

I thought maybe it was ammonium because it wasn't going up even with fish to add to it, and it was in my tap.. But I have high pH levels and I was afraid to use a binder if I wasn't done cycling..
Great, now what?

sandybottom 01-23-2014 01:28 PM

what kind or water conditioner are you using?

crzy2u 01-23-2014 05:56 PM

I have no nitrates in my tap at all and still around 5-7 nitrates in the tank.
I'm using API Stress Coat.

Poleren 01-23-2014 08:44 PM

Your nitrates should be up to 25 ppm and the ammonia should ZERO. That's how tell if the nitrogen cycle worked.

crzy2u 01-23-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poleren (Post 3788018)
Your nitrates should be up to 25 ppm and the ammonia should ZERO. That's how tell if the nitrogen cycle worked.

But then what is this supposed to be? If I haven't cycled, there should be no bacteria and my fish should make the ammonia rise.
But if I have cycled then there should be no ammonia..
That's the other reason I think it might be ammonium.